Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squeezebox vs Compulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Feb 12, 2005.

1. I know at least one guy here has both the Retrospec Squeezebox and the Demeter Compulator, and I'm sure even more have tried them both.

Since they're both in the same vein of "opto-style" compressor pedals, I thought it could be nice to here some thoughts on them...

...considering selling my Squeezebox for the much smaller (pedalboard space is always crucial), and cheaper, Compulator if they're about as nice....

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got both but, believe it or not, I actually haven't A/B'd them directly since my Squeezebox isn't on my pedalboard these days. I took it off because it's a little big, but more importantly it's just too darn valuable to be schleppin' around in various bars and such... one sold on the 'Bay a couple weeks ago for $550... sheesh...and it didn't even have the input gain mod that the Squeezebox designer (Ken McKim) added to the later-produced units (a mini-toggle that allows you to cut the input level for hot signals).

The Compulator can sound similar, even close, to the Squeezebox, but it's not quite the same. Though both can produce the colored 'thump' that sounds like a kick drum hitting at the same time as the bass note, the Squeeze sounds more open + clear, and musical to my ears. And... no other compressor I've tried has the Squeeze's very cool EQ feature, where you can brighten/darken up the sound only when the threshold is exceeded. Like a built-in sidechain.

That said, the Compulator is an excellent comp, and I think you'd still be happy with it. The only one I prefer to it is the Analogman BiComp (the Juicer can also produce that 'thump'). But... I'd still hold on to the Squeezebox if possible!