Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Feb 13, 2004.

1. How many Retrospec Squeezebox users are out there?

I've just acquired mine (great price!) and was wondering about the "D.I.-part of it... Does the tube affect the xlr out even when the comp-function is bypassed? And does it also affect the unbalanced out?
  2. atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    where did you manage to get yours...? these are too hard to find :)

Watch the language - tplyons
  3. Tell me about it. I've been on the lookout for one for years (or at least two years since I heard about it first). Thing is, only 15 were imported to sweden before Retrospoec "went out".

The simple truth is I got real lucky! The Squeezebox surfaced in a classified ad being sold buy a guy who had only used it in the studio. The price when they were imported to Sweden was going at about 850$, I ended up paying about 330$ for mine! Good price! And it sounds fantastic!

I'm thinking I might have to change a tube soon since it's a bit microphonic if you tap your foot on the chassis (when ever you'd find yourself doing that?). But still, preamp tubes aren't that pricey...
  4. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats! I've had one for several years and love it...produces some serious 'thump'. If you're talking about putting the switch is in the "Off" position (i.e. the "Active" light is Off), the pedal is true-bypass so no part of the circuit is still in the signal chain. However, if you're talking about simply rolling the "Comp" knob down, then yes - the tubes will still affect the sound (in a very good way).
  5. My questions about the circuit and bypass explained :) ;

If I bypass the "comp" function (via the footswitch), do the tubes still affect the signal? If so, do they affect the unbalanced as well as the balanced outputs?

I'm using this mostly as a stompbox compression pedal and not so much the DI function. However, it would be nice to use it as a good D.I for upright bass. I have read about people (Haden? Holland? Can't remember...) using the Retrospec tube D.I., "The Juice Box", for upright and just had a thought that the squeeze might be useable in the same fashion...