Squeir Bronco?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul A, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I've asked this before but...
    My daughter (7) has got a fascination for Bass.
    A couple of times I've come home to find my Bass Case has been opened and the Ashdown's still warm!
    So, I have to get her a bass of her own!
    I tried a Squeir Bronco at lunchtime today, and have to say I was really Impressed.
    It's light and small enough for her to handle and the action seemed really light.
    It sounded really good to me through an Ashdown amp.
    Anything I've missed? - any big negatives with the Bronco?

2. Some people complain about the pickups low response to the e-string but the pickup could always be replaced with a single coil p-bass pickup as far as I know

otherwise it's a real fine bass especially for the money
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A local guitarist has a late-model maple board Bronco into which he mounted a used MIM P pickup he scrounged - he said it was about a two hour job using a Dremel, and would have taken a half hour if he had a router and the proper bits. He did a nice setup, and it plays and sounds great!

I suspect replacing the pickup would be overkill for your daughter, but if you pick a good one and set it up properly, it should be a great choice for her. I would definitely try before I buy - QC seems spotty on Squiers.

Another option: an Epiphone EB-0, which is also short scale and (I think) has a slightly smaller body.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you liked the Bronco you tried, good for you. Ones I've played were terrible, and for the same price as a Squier P-bass which was clearly superior (though of course longer scale) it seemed like a total waste of money.

My solution for my own daughter was to shop around for a used bass, there are many old shortscale models out there. I found a plywood body Harmony for $75, restrung it with extra light strings and set it up for super low action (which required a neck shim).

One to keep your eyes peeled for is the old Squier VIsta Musicmaster Bass which is actually quite well made, and came in cool colors (pink!!!!) .

Don't forget Daisy Rock:

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I know duncan makes a PU for the 51 P bass style.

That could work.

Daisy Rock is another idea, but its not for everyone.

6. Danelecto longhorns are shortscale and light and sound ok at a good price.
  7. My first bass was a Squier Bronco, i loved the tone and the bass so much, i kept it after i turned down a $200 offer on it, and now i'm curently converting it into a fretless
  8. i cant remember who it was but someone on these here boards posted a recording of them playing a Bronco that they had bought for a son or daughter (perhaps embellisher?) and it sounded mighty fine to me.
  9. If it weren't shortscale I'd buy it for myself
  10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    We Got It!
    Visited a new guitar centre today and got the Bronco!
    Abbie's soooo pleased with it, she's only had it a few hours and already nailed "Boris the Spider" and a few other bass lines!
    For you guys in the U.K. we got it from "Wembley Guitar Centre" - (Fourth Way Wembley - Industrial estate Near the old stadium)
    This has to be THE BEST store I've visited.
    The staff there are great, really helpful and their prices are Incredibly low for the u.k.
    Paid £99 for the Bronco with Gig bag,Cable and spare strings - also a free set up if and when it needs it!

11. lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Awesome... she has to be the happiest 7 year old in England right now.
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Very cool. I wish her good luck!! :)
  13. Sweet! She looks ecstatic! I'm thinking about getting a short scale to take to work, and the bronco is on top of my list so far.
  14. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought my 11-year old daughter a Bronco for Christmas, and she likes it. It plays and sounds pretty good, although it buzzes a lot with the single coil.