Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

squelchy fuzz with gate

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pacojastorius, Jan 7, 2006.

1. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    im looking for a fuzz to go in front of my maxon AF9 auto filter for funky, 70s vibes.
    im looking at the only 2 i know with a gate: mammoth and the chunk systems.
    is there anymore fuzzes with a gate, or is there a pedal with a gate on it?
    thanks

2. So. How good is that Red Witch pedal for bass??

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Zoom Ultra Fuzz has a gate and works great with both active and passive basses

4. how come your not interested in the Brown Dog?... theyre hand made, affordable and sound excellent from the clips, esp with the 00funk.

i should be receiving mine next week and i'll do a review, so check it out if youre still looking when i post it.

Peace

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There's a definate difference between a "gated fuzz" or "squelched fuzz" or whatever (like the Mammoth or Brown Dog), and a distortion or fuzz that either has a built-in or added-on expander/gate (like my ODB/NS-2 dist./gate combination).

Being that the Boss NS-2 gate has very accurate remote-sensing for the detector (it bases gating action on the un-effected signal connected to the 'input' jack, but then gates what's between its 'send' and 'return' jacks), it is able to very cleanly and completely and reliably gate - even between individual notes. It still isn't that abrupt "pinch" effect that the Mammoth or Dog give you.

Still, if the reason one is looking for gating is for the purpose of high signal-to-noise - the sound cutting-off to silence when you stop playing - the NS-2 is dynamite. If what you're looking for is that 'pinched' effect, then you need a real, 'squelch-fuzz'.

I didn't want anyone to mix these up. There is a difference.

Joe

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I've been playing around with the Brown Dog lately and it's an awesome pedal. There are a Ton of sounds in that little box - I think you'll be a happy man.

7. i think i will be too :D

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I use my NS-2 to gate my Big Muff to good effect :)

9. im a little dissapointed with my NS-2. Picked it up yesterday, i was under the impression it eliminated noise. But its just a gate. Noise still comes through while im playing. So it should be called a noise gate, not a noise supressor

10. That's very true.

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Either way, it's excelent at what it does. I'm supprised that your disappointed chips... BTW How much noise are your pedals generating that you can hear it over a played note???

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    that's what I'm thinking - mine works phenominally - and that's with reduculous amounts of treble-boost, compression, distortion... even TWO distortions in-series!

Hey I know... are you putting your other pedals IN THE LOOP, Chips?? That's the trick behind the NS-2's amazing performance; remote-sensing. You have to use the loop - and if at-all possible, run the BASS directly to the 'input' jack!

It WAY-suppresses for me (I know what you mean, though; maybe the enn-ess-three will have a dynamic filter too!). I've had it for quite a while now, but still hardly a practice or gig goes by that I don't reach-down, switch it from 'mute' to 'reduction', click it on-and-off a couple times, and snicker in amazement and glee.

~~~~~~
    Idoru: I too can get nearly a 'squelch-fuzz' effect with my Deisel Dawg and ODB-3 in the loop, twin hair-scrunchy mutes in-force up on the neck, and the gate threshold turned-up a little. Oh yeah.

Joe

13. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i agree

14. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have been loving the hell out of my new fuzz factory, I can't believe it took me so damn long to buy one of these... It does the fat fuzz thing great, and the noise fuzz thing even better - but its all the shades in between that kill me!!!

And it does retain a LOT of lows...

Alex

15. Great! Now I wanna hear samples! :)
    Does it retain ENOUGH lows?

16. Im running my effects in the loop. The noise isnt insanely bad that it can be heard over a played note, but i can still here it. The main reason i bought it was my BF-2, which im pretty sure is creating some of the hiss, and i can hear it flanging the hiss. Which sounds cool sometimes. And my aphex exciter is quite noisy too.

I havent really had that much time to set everything up properly yet, due to cables lengths and such, but time will tell. I will be keeping it, as it will get rid of the hiss when im not playing.

Mind you, this is just in my room, where im sitting close to the amp and really listening. Sometimes when im in a bigger room jamming with the band i cant hear the hiss that much.

Still... 'NG-2' would be a far more appropriate name. But then again, this is one pedal i didnt research for a change, so i half blame myself :)

Peace
    Blake

17. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    It can even kinda boost them in a wierd way on some settings, but I think this will be able to cut through really well in a band setting - insted of being lost in the mud with a muff... :smug:

I will make some samples up tonight, now my playing is hella rusty - so please forgive that...

Alex