Squib Cakes

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by beermonkey, Jun 18, 2002.

1. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Here is a recording of my band playing "Squib Cakes" at our show last Saturday night. This is a Tower of Power tune from the album "Back to Oakland" for those of you who are not hip to the original.

This song is so much fun to play..
  2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    MAN AWESOME!!!!!!
    That is sweet...you are tearing up the Rocco Style....killin' the 16th notes! I love that song it is so freaking funky
    Man your band is unbelievable!
    I want more!!!!
  3. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA

Thanks man. I'm glad someone listened to it.

We have a few more sound clips on the website, but no other full tunes.. and to tell you the truth, a lot of the sound clips we have are not our best performances of that material. I need to get off my lazy booty and re-work all of the clips up there.
  4. That sounds great! I bet it took a little work to pull that one together.:)
  5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    damn- im not getting it! i wanna hear!
  6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Very nice work beermonkey!
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Cool job!

Anyways, I think with T.O.P. material, the problem is getting good tone. Those fast 16th notes are not as audible as longer notes, especially if the bass has dark tone.

I saw band last night and they played couple T.O.P. songs like So I Got To Groove etc, and while the bassist was quite funky he was playing a P-bass so it was a bit hard to keep up what he was doing.
  8. Didn't Rocco use a P-bass for quite awhile? It may have more to do with how everything is mixed. I think TOP was smart enough to understand what Rocco brought to the table and always put him in front of the mix.;)
  9. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've played this tune myself a good number of times since it came out when I was a senior in high school. You guys did a nice job.
  10. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yes I think I did see Rocco playing a P-bass...on the 98 bass day video