Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier 5-String P-Bass??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Mar 24, 2005.

1. :cool: When the Squier 5-string P-Bass first arrived on the scene, there were a lot of comments about how good the bass was except for the pups. They were supposedly 4-string pups which created some serious problems picking up the "B", and to some extent, the "G" strings.

I read a number of threads about taking off the cover and gluing in some washers which would fix the problem. Then I read that on later models, it seemed that Fender sealed the pup covers so that you couldn't take them off without damaging the pup.

I have several questions concerning this bass:

1. Is Fender still using a 4-string pup on these basses or have they finally gone to a 5-string?

2. Are there any reasonably priced replacements for these pups, regardless as to whether or not Fender has fixed the original problem?

3. I read on an older post here, or it was alluded to, that the EMG's would fit without any mods. Were these the EMG Selects like the ones that StewMac sells, or another model? Has anyone actually tried these pups, if so, what do you think of them?

4. In that same post, another member said that he had used Bart's with a minor amount of mod work. What Bart's, and how did they help the sound?

Thanks for any help anyone might have. I just bought one of these instruments; haven't received it yet. I'm just planning on a pup change as I've never found a Squier bass that I liked the pups on. Found some very good Squier basses, but the pups plainly were not up to the level of the bass.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well i have that model and my pickups are all sealed up. The only pickups ive found that would fit are EMGs BUT the thing is that you have to buy 2 neck position pickups because both pickups are the same size on the squier. Ill post a little later on and tell u which ones they are on the EMG site

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Here it is This is the only Replacement Ive found for that bass. As u can see from the description it says it will work on a 4 string or narrow 5.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Sammy, try the stock pups first. I had one of these a while back with the sealed pups and I thought it sounded fine. I also checked the magnet width with some paper and iron filings, and it looked like it covered the string width. Bar magnet of some kind.

5. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I just got a 5 string precision squier and love it. I downloaded a schematic for the wiring from the squier site and it shows 5 string pickups. (5 pair of poles) My first fix will probably be a Seymour Duncan Tone Circuit preamp for passive pickups. About $96.00.

Here is the URL for the schematic.

http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/diagrams/SquierJBassSpecial5B2B.pdf