Squier 5-string pickup mod.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jebis, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    I was searching through the thread archives and I came across a link to a forum where some guy had modified his Squier 5-string pickups with washers. Apparently he used the washers as poles and got some really good results since Squiers(5 strings) use four string pickups. He also stated that modification was "invisible". What I don't understand is: how is that possible if the pickups are completely sealed? I am interested in doing this to my own bass, but I can't figure out where he put those washers.
  2. JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hmmm, HELLO JEBIS!!!!

Have you found anything yet. I would like to read all about it.

Thanks, Jerry
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I remember this. The archives at the Fender Forum have been down for some time, so you can't find it there, but I'll tell what I can remember. A fellow who calls himself holderman (on the FDP) found that by putting steel washers on top of the pickups, inside the covers, he got a more even sound. Apparently his pickups aren't sealed. Are your pickup covers glued to the actual pickups? Usually, on Fender basses, the pickup cover and pickup are two different pieces.

So either holderman, or one of the other guys in the thread, found that hot gluing these washers either to the pole pieces or the inside of the covers, I forget which, gave a much better response. Another guy said that he got a good result by just putting the washers in the ends of the covers to extend the magnetic field.

I was gonna get a Squier 5-string, so I read the posts several times. holderman, IIRC, also has a Roscoe Beck, and he says his Squier with this modification sounds as good.
  4. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    The only way i know how to fix a squire is to burn it and buy a bass.
  5. JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey Victor,

I did try it, but all I got was plenty of smoke. It still is playable and smoking (gun).
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hey - i know this thread is a year old, but does anyone have any more info or experience with this?

my dearmond 5 string also has 4 string pickups in it that look VERY similar to the squier's, and i'd think the same modification would work.

7. If the washer thing works, why couldn't you just cut a piece of strap steel, about 1/32nd in thickness (or even thinner), the same width and length as the inside of the pickup cover, super glue it to the inside of the pickup cover, and replace it the cover.

It seems like this would accomplish what the washer thing is doing only a whole lot easier. Any opinions? I'm just guessing here?