Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pantsman, Jun 7, 2005.

1. I saw this Squier 5 string jazz/p hybrid bass at my local store. It is a P bass basically with 2 jazz pickups, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these, regarding sound, playability and other important things. I know nothing really about buying a bass, what to look for and stuff, i play mainly metal and alot of hard/heavy genre's.

Thanks for any advice

Edit: it is the P bass special V
    http://www.squierguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=0321505537

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I played one, honestly, the best Fender 5'er I've ever played. Even if it is a Squier it played much better than all the MIM Jazz V's I've touched. Had a good feel, good tone (though could've used pickup swaps for my personal taste) but otherwise an excellent instrument.

3. yeah, i was considering a pickup replacement once i got the cash, the dude in the store wouldn't stfu about this US standard jazz 4 string... for $1600 AU for it compared to $500 for the squier.... umm yeah, you get the point, on a side note i would like to enlighten you all to the prices us australians have to put up with, ampeg classic 115, $1600AU SVT amp of some kind, $4599. Back to original question, what do they sound like, stanard P or more jazz like due to pickups or a hybrid of both (which would be PERFECT)

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey man, really sucks that you're in Oz, the prices over there are nuts! A Squier over here is a bass to be bought with spare change. There it's a few paychecks.

But OTOH, Ampeg's are freakin expensive wherever you ware.

5. There is one thing that makes up for the faults of australia, the weather, it is coming into the middle of winter and i am wearing shorts and a t-shirt, hot chicks are still wearing mini skirts. That and a kick arse welfare system, i just got $500 for getting a job... thank you, dumb arse government.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Haha, Pantsman, I think I know where I'm coming for my studies abroad in a year or two. Either Sydney or Berlin are my choices, I think I'm coming to Oz!

7. STAY AWAY FROM SYDNEY!!, really expensive to live there, rent is a joke due to the recent property boom. Brisbane is the place to go :D although i am a little biassed there, everything is cheaper here than elsewhere, great public transport, best weather. Suits me well cause i love to be outside, but with regard to the welfare for students, i was getting $400 a fortnight, just because i was at Uni, and i don't even have to pay back my uni costs untill i start earning over $40k a year, may never happen in my life, which means i never have to pay it back :D

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've got one and it's quite nice. Solid bridge, good tuners, good pickups, good sounding wood (body and neck). Good average bass.

It's actually a WIP Frankenbass now - I'll unveil it soon enough.

Muahaha :bassist:

9. excellent!! must show me pics and sound clip when it is done, on that subject, does anyone have a recording of that bass being played? unfortunately i can't test one out for about 2months! don't want to be having wet dreams of it only to find i don't like the tone!!

10. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Man, i love em.
    Mate who plays in a church band has got one, plays it thru a peavey 90 watt, and wow it plays and sound real nice.
    really nice tone, surprisingly growly!

11. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Lot of Bass for the money and looks great in Walnut. My instructor really thought it was a nice bass. I love the neck and the general quality and looking a a Duncan tone circuit preamp or possibly a complete pickup set with preamp from Duncan. The complete active set with pickups and preamp are $176.00 With this mod I will have $427 in the Bass.

12. FederalFUNK

FederalFUNK

Jan 12, 2005
    yeah man prices here suck balls im telling you im thining of getting a squire P affinity jsut coz a mim fender here is li9ke 900 bucks there good tho those squires

oh and tplyons man go to the university of the sunshine coast man full of americans and right near the surf man... awsome uni

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I have one of those, it was my first bass. I love the way it looks ( I refinished it in silver sparkle with matching headstock mmm) It plays really well except the nut on mine was cut too deep. Tends to neck dive a little but nothing serious. All in all its a great bass. The only thing that is a downside (to me at least) is that both the pickups are the same size, so finding replacement pickups is hard. Only one I've found so far were from EMG, but you'd have to use 2 neck pickups.

14. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Both pickups are the same size and the Duncan's that I am looking at have a wider bridge pickup. A good carpenter can grab his router and cut the slot a little wider in a few minutes. You will need to get some matching stain for the inside. 99.9% of what he or she needs to route will not even show. I have a friend who is a guitarist and boat builder and I plan to take it over to his shop. He said it will take him longer to get the bit and the router setup than it will take to do the job. You need to cut out about 1/20 " on each side) I read somewhere on this site that someone did it with sandpaper. The difference in width in the duncan and the squier bridge pickup is 12/100 of and inch.

I plan to this in August after I get back from vacation. I will post how it went and if I had any issues. (the bass I mean!!) :hyper: