Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier 5-Stringer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cathead, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I was at a music store the other day and played on a Squier 5-string P bass that had a big thick neck and the string spacing at the bridge was mega wide, just like I like. The tuning keys were all lined in a row at the top of the headstock. So, I came home to shop around on the internet for this guitar, but all the ones that I look at have 4 tuning keys at the top of the headstock and 1 underneath. I know this description is vague, but it's all I know right now. Anyway, if anyone knows what I'm talking about and has a link to a site with the bass with all the tuning keys at the top of the headstock I would sure appreciate it if you'd let me know about it. I'm afraid if I order one of the others the neck and string spacing won't be the same as the one I played. I have included a pic of the one I played. Thanks.

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Thats quite possibly the best looking Squiers I've seen, maybe someone here can id it :bassist:

3. I have the same bass, mine says "Squire by Fender" (made in Korea) on the headstock, oh and mine is black. I purchased mine new in 1989. I asked around about it, even went to the Fender forum and couldn't get much info.....Hope your quest will give me some answers to.

:help:

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Yes, that does look really good for a squier.

5. it's a Squier pro-tone Precision V.

I thought they were made in the mid-late 90's though.....

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It must be a Pro Tone which I understand are really nice instruments...

FWIW, the newer P Special 5 has a really nice neck too...wide (2 in. at the nut) and kind of flat...play amazingly nice for a budget bass.

I got brave and defretted mine...it's a wonderful fretless 5 now.

You can probably find some reviews here or look on www.harmonycentral.com or www.bgra.net

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Gasp , Treena herself mispelling Squier, tsk tsk tsk.

;)

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, that's a Pro-Tone. Never handled one. I did, however, have the "current" model with the 4+1 headstock, and it was a really good bass. I think I got more compliments on my tone when I had that bass than any other except my current P.

9. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Don't look like P pickups to me does it sound like them?

tk

10. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Well, thanks for all the posts. I reckon I'll have to get back up to the music store and find out more about where that bass came from. I don't know how the pickups sound....I was playing around on it unplugged. All I know is I really liked the wide spacing on the strings. It felt about the same as an Ibanez EDA905 I was looking at. The dude has $545.00 on the Squier. It sounded steep to me, and that's why I was trying to price it on the internet. But, all I could find was the picture I found on another forum. Thanks for all the input.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Don't pay that much for that thing! It is a Squier. I had a newer vesion with the jazz pikups for a while, and it was very lacking on the B. Very trebly. Needed some fatter pickups, bad. But the old ones with the soapbar pickups as this one does, have good sound. I have a buddy that owns one just like that, and it's beautiful. I wish he'd give it to me. Or at least sell it to me.

12. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I have the same bass, mine says "Squire by Fender" (made in Korea) on the headstock, oh and mine is black. I purchased mine new in 1989. I asked around about it, even went to the Fender forum and couldn't get much info.....Hope your quest will give me some answers to.

OK, Treena.........sell me yours. :D

13. My bad, and thank you for catching that.......Squier, there all fixed.

Cathead, let me think about that, it's possible, if you are serious?

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I want a squier!!!
    I HAVE A SQUIER!!!!!
    I CAN"T AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!

But they all sound the same :crying:

15. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Treena, I am dead serious about wanting that bass, and a few months back before I became financially embarrassed I would be wheeling and dealing with you. Make me an offer anyway at cathead77@yahoo.com. It's the wide string spacing that hooked me :)

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey TMO33,

I agree-that i wouldn't pay that much for it. When you say that you had a newer version with the jazz bass pickups, do you mean a later Squier Pro-Tone or just a later squier? Reason for saying is-i've played a few different Pro-Tones and i would say they easily beat some of the MIM Fenders in terms of both quality and sound. However, the Regular Squier 5s that i played didn't feel even close to the same as the Pro-Tones. All that is IME.

Original poster-if you can talk them into a lower price, go for it.

17. You have mail Cathead.

[​IMG]
    Treena

18. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    OK, Treena.......I never did get the pics in my e-mail. I did, however, find the bass on Ebay for $175.00 and bought it. It has been proffessionally modified to active with the preamp under the pick guard. I ain't received it yet. Hopefully, I will by the middle of next week. Can't wait to run around on that big wide fingerboard. :hyper:

19. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Pictures?

20. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I haven't seen any pictures of that bass on the fender website, but in the Fender Frontline 2004 catalog they have the 5 string squier P-bass with two j pickups and the 4 and 1 headstock listed as the "P-bass Special V". It's supposed to be the five string version of the squier deluxe p-bass special, except for some reason it comes with two jazz pickups instead of one p-bass and one jazz.