1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier 5-Stringer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cathead, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I was at a music store the other day and played on a Squier 5-string P bass that had a big thick neck and the string spacing at the bridge was mega wide, just like I like. The tuning keys were all lined in a row at the top of the headstock. So, I came home to shop around on the internet for this guitar, but all the ones that I look at have 4 tuning keys at the top of the headstock and 1 underneath. I know this description is vague, but it's all I know right now. Anyway, if anyone knows what I'm talking about and has a link to a site with the bass with all the tuning keys at the top of the headstock I would sure appreciate it if you'd let me know about it. I'm afraid if I order one of the others the neck and string spacing won't be the same as the one I played. I have included a pic of the one I played. Thanks.

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Thats quite possibly the best looking Squiers I've seen, maybe someone here can id it :bassist:

3. I have the same bass, mine says "Squire by Fender" (made in Korea) on the headstock, oh and mine is black. I purchased mine new in 1989. I asked around about it, even went to the Fender forum and couldn't get much info.....Hope your quest will give me some answers to.

:help:

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Yes, that does look really good for a squier.

5. it's a Squier pro-tone Precision V.

I thought they were made in the mid-late 90's though.....

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It must be a Pro Tone which I understand are really nice instruments...

FWIW, the newer P Special 5 has a really nice neck too...wide (2 in. at the nut) and kind of flat...play amazingly nice for a budget bass.

I got brave and defretted mine...it's a wonderful fretless 5 now.

You can probably find some reviews here or look on www.harmonycentral.com or www.bgra.net

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Gasp , Treena herself mispelling Squier, tsk tsk tsk.

;)

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, that's a Pro-Tone. Never handled one. I did, however, have the "current" model with the 4+1 headstock, and it was a really good bass. I think I got more compliments on my tone when I had that bass than any other except my current P.

9. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Don't look like P pickups to me does it sound like them?

tk

10. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Well, thanks for all the posts. I reckon I'll have to get back up to the music store and find out more about where that bass came from. I don't know how the pickups sound....I was playing around on it unplugged. All I know is I really liked the wide spacing on the strings. It felt about the same as an Ibanez EDA905 I was looking at. The dude has $545.00 on the Squier. It sounded steep to me, and that's why I was trying to price it on the internet. But, all I could find was the picture I found on another forum. Thanks for all the input.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Don't pay that much for that thing! It is a Squier. I had a newer vesion with the jazz pikups for a while, and it was very lacking on the B. Very trebly. Needed some fatter pickups, bad. But the old ones with the soapbar pickups as this one does, have good sound. I have a buddy that owns one just like that, and it's beautiful. I wish he'd give it to me. Or at least sell it to me.

12. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I have the same bass, mine says "Squire by Fender" (made in Korea) on the headstock, oh and mine is black. I purchased mine new in 1989. I asked around about it, even went to the Fender forum and couldn't get much info.....Hope your quest will give me some answers to.

OK, Treena.........sell me yours. :D

13. My bad, and thank you for catching that.......Squier, there all fixed.

Cathead, let me think about that, it's possible, if you are serious?

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I want a squier!!!
    I HAVE A SQUIER!!!!!
    I CAN"T AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!

But they all sound the same :crying:

15. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Treena, I am dead serious about wanting that bass, and a few months back before I became financially embarrassed I would be wheeling and dealing with you. Make me an offer anyway at cathead77@yahoo.com. It's the wide string spacing that hooked me :)

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey TMO33,

I agree-that i wouldn't pay that much for it. When you say that you had a newer version with the jazz bass pickups, do you mean a later Squier Pro-Tone or just a later squier? Reason for saying is-i've played a few different Pro-Tones and i would say they easily beat some of the MIM Fenders in terms of both quality and sound. However, the Regular Squier 5s that i played didn't feel even close to the same as the Pro-Tones. All that is IME.

Original poster-if you can talk them into a lower price, go for it.

17. You have mail Cathead.

[​IMG]
    Treena

18. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    OK, Treena.......I never did get the pics in my e-mail. I did, however, find the bass on Ebay for $175.00 and bought it. It has been proffessionally modified to active with the preamp under the pick guard. I ain't received it yet. Hopefully, I will by the middle of next week. Can't wait to run around on that big wide fingerboard. :hyper:

19. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Pictures?

20. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I haven't seen any pictures of that bass on the fender website, but in the Fender Frontline 2004 catalog they have the 5 string squier P-bass with two j pickups and the 4 and 1 headstock listed as the "P-bass Special V". It's supposed to be the five string version of the squier deluxe p-bass special, except for some reason it comes with two jazz pickups instead of one p-bass and one jazz.