1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Active Jazz V....pickups? Anybody?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mmbongo, Oct 29, 2010.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've got one of these on the way, this one:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...z-Bass-Active-V-5String-Bass-?sku=512618#used

Just wondering if anyone here has one and has changed the pickups and/or preamp. If so, please let me know what you used.

Yeah I know I haven't even received the bass yet, and it's a possibility that I'll keep it stock, but I want to be pickup shopping in the meantime. For me, swapping electronics is half the fun :)

Also if you do have one, what are the dimensions of the pickups? I'm kinda hoping Carvins new J99A's will fit in it, and the poles are wide enough for the string spread. Carvin uses them on their wide spaced 5's, so I'm assuming the poles are fine.

2. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Still wondering.

I do know now that the Carvin pickups will not fit, the only pickups I've found that will fit so far (that are designed for a 5 string) are Bartolini's. I find it odd that these use the same pickups that a 4 string Jazz uses, and the SHORT one at that.

I'm seriously looking at the EMG BQS Preamp unless I can find a Bart or Aguilar for less than $100. May just end up keeping the stock pickups with the new preamp, but I'd at least like to be looking.

3. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    That is wrong ;)

Both pickups are the same size but not the short one, the long (bridge) one.

I had one of those basses and i changed the pups for Dimarzio UltraJazz.

The Carvin pickups should also fit.

4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I hope your right, Rano. And it makes sense, I don't see why they would use the short one but everything I've read says they are 3.6 inches wide, which is the short one.

Now did you put an UltraJazz 4 or 5 in yours?

5. Nachoooooooo

Nachoooooooo

Jan 12, 2007
    And I went from the stock 3.62" pickups to Bartolini 3.73" pickups. Had to whittle out the ends of the routes with a razor (0.05" each end?) and also shaved off some of the plastic on the ends of the barts as they taper slightly from bottom to top. The barts are nice, but now I want a new preamp!

6. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    UltraJazz for 5 strings.

Here is a pic (with a custom pickguard too)

S5036876.

7. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    hey sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am looking to replace my stock p/u's in my squier deluxe active jazz V. i'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, and I don't want to have to modify anything. did the DIMARZIO ULTRA JAZZ 5 p/u's fit easily? do they sound good? thanks in advance...

8. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    They sound better than the stock ones but are a little shy in the mids, the new Dimarzio Area J pickups are supposed to sound a little more like a true J bass pickup.
    Mines were almost an exact fit, i had to file like 1mm to make them fit correctly.

9. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    I have a Squier Active Jazz V. It already sounds so good, no way would I risk wasting money on replacement pickups.