1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Affinity body, good for crazy modder?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So I've toyed with the idea of getting a really retro-styled Jazz bass, we're talking flats with pickup covers and everything. I really dig the Lake Placid blue or Daphne Blue, so I wanted something with that body color and a maple neck/fretboard (No gloss necks, I want satin finish). I am going to put Fender Pure Vintage '64 pickups in there, some nice flats, and maybe an ashtray or two. Here are my options for making this happen, listed with the pros and cons.

*Fender Standard Jazz*
    Pros:
    Color is correct
    Can get maple neck/fretboard stock
    Should be decent quality in general

Cons:
    Still needs Pure Vintage pickups
    Most expensive option overall
    Quality isn't guaranteed

*Squier CV James Johnston*
    Pros:
    Color is correct
    Price is better than Fender J
    Hi-Mass bridge

Cons:
    Need to replace neck (rosewood fingerboard)
    Need Pure Vintage pickups
    Basswood body
    QC may be lower than Fender J

*Fender Parts Body*
    Pros:
    Real Fender body
    Better cost than the full-fledged Fender
    Drilled for bridge already

Cons:
    Doesn't come in blue
    Need many little parts (control plate, pots, pickguard, etc)
    Might not be the best QC on the wood

*Squier Affinity Jazz*
    Pros:
    Best overall price
    Same color as Fender
    Alder body

Cons:
    QC may be shoddy
    Still needs maple neck/fretboard
    Will definitely need pickups upgraded

So out of all these options, my best one seems to be using the Squier Affinity body and hardware (control plate, tuners, bridge) as a basis to build all the other stuff from. I can get a Mighty Mite or Fender maple neck/fretboard, the pure vintage pickups (I install my own) and that should make me golden. The Squier Affinity project would come in at around $524 out the door with the pickups and Fender neck. With a 10% off coupon or something I could come out under $500.

Anybody do a build with the Squier bodies? Useable? Total junk? Crapshoot? As long as it's blue and decently built, I'm a happy camper. The ashtrays will probably take away from any aesthetic deficiencies.

- VT