1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier AFFINITY jazz bass REPLACEMENT pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JetBlackJazz, May 20, 2011.

1. Please.........i do Not want someones opinion or what they THINK might work. But i want a concrete answer from people who have been in the EXACT or similar situations as myself. Where can i find Squier by Fender AFFINITY jazz bass replacement pickguard online- without needing to trace or have it custom made? preferably in a selection of colors/patterns for a reasonable ($30 or less) price.... :help: :help: :help:

Lumdingo likes this.
  2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    You can't.

3. ....that helps

4. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    You asked a question and you got an answer.

5. i wish people actually liked to help other people...especially bassists.

6. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    In all honesty, you cannot get what you are looking for online.

However, if you go down to your local guitar shop, they may have a selection of MIM and MIA pick guards. Some fit, some don't.

If that is not an option look here Custom Pick Guards

they have downloadable traces in PDF format that you can match up to the one you have so you'll know if it matches up.

If you need help call John at Terrapin. He's great to work with and can and will get you what you want with the least amount of hassles.

Good luck.

Lumdingo likes this.
  7. I have what I believe is a Fender J pg on my affinity. It took minor adjusting around the pickup, but it works fine. Not sure about where it came from, I got it from a friend.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Okay. I'll try again. What you ask for doesn't exist. Squier pickguards vary a LOT from one allegedly identical model to the next. So if you take one P bass guard fom a MII '05 Squier P bass, and try to apply it to a different MII '05 Squier P bass, it might or might not fit.

THAT's why you always have to trace them to get a Squier guard. And it always costs a buttload more than you expect or want it to.

So you want an off the shelf model that will fit many different basses for half price or so. It doesn't exist. Hence my answer: You can't.

Now you have lots of options if you'll do what you said you didn't want to, like trace the curent pickguard and pay a buttload of money. Terrapin and pickguardian do good stuff for about $50

But off the shelf and cheap? No.

9. Bard2bone is correct; I've gone through the same dance -- it doesn't exist; it has to made custom.

10. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    If the answer to your question isn't what you were hoping for, that doesn't mean it wasn't helpfull.

11. well at least i know FINALLY that somebody else on earth finally has my problem...thanks i suppose

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    What's so hard about sending a trace?
    Otherwise, Bard nailed it on the head.

13. Here's and idea, take your PG to the local music shop and find the PG that comes the closest fit. Thats probably what I'll do too.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    It's been almost a year, though. Hopefully OP have found a solution to the problem by now. ;)

15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Well that sucks, so I guess there is no place to just get a new pick guard?
    I'd this still the case?
    I was hoping to get a white guard for my MII Squire.
    Would I be correct to assume that this process will be my only option?

16. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    It just is what it is, I've always had to do three things, find one that's "close", file to fit (neck pocket or pup holes), drill a new hole (or five).

Take your time, use painters tape to keep from scratching when filing, mark twice drill once (slowly), enjoy the effort and be proud of the accomplishment.

<kraminator> likes this.
  17. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Or buy pickguard sheets (or "blanks") and cut to fit. They esily shaped a coping saw for the rough cutout and some files to shape it and to bevel the edges if needed. If you want the edges really smooth some fine grit sandpaper will quickly clean up things.

oh, and for drilling holes for pots get a step drill bit. They are perfect for drilling large, clean holes in plastic. Normal spiral drill bits at that size doesn't work as well.

18. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    I have replaced the pgs on both of my Squier P basses... "identical" instruments with different pg screw placements and pickup relative to neck positions (we are talking millimeters here but enough that the oe pg from one won't fit on the other!) that being said the filing and drilling I did to make my replacements fit wasn't that extensive or difficult. I would imagine it would be even easier on a Jazz as the PG is smaller and doesn't have any hardware attached.
    IMG_0184. IMG_0186.

19. Besides the screw holes and p'ups fitting - and sometimes the neck pocket while I'm thinking of it, there's also the Jazz-style control plate VEE that's different.

If you are trying to put a Fender PG onto a Squier - Affinity or not - you have enough extra material to make it fit with some judicious trimming. I've done it a few times myself.

For those who might want to try it the other way around - you cannot add material to the PG to go the other way, eg: Affinity PG to a Standard Fender. There will be a small shortage of material at that VEE;

100_7385.

That VEE on the Squiers is sharper and less rounded like on a Fender. Notice the angle of that VEE on a Squier here:::

100_7543.

A sharp Fender geek would spot it in an instant. :D

BTW: Fender v Squier PG screws look different too. A SUPER sharp Fender geek will know!

20. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Forgot about the V at the control plate! I remember the pgs on my MIA standard J and my old MIM J were not interchangeable because of that spot.