1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Affinity Jazz Bass Shapes and Colors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tubatodd, Jun 2, 2014.

1. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I have a trio of Squier Vintage Modified Jazz basses and I love them. They feel like "home" to me. I've considered picking up an Affinity jazz bass in lake placid blue. I like the color but I have some questions.

a) All of the stock pictures of the Affinity J basses show a jazz bass with different proportions when compared to a VM, Mexican or American J bass. Looks weird to my eye. Are they as noticeably different as the stock photos show?

Example: These look more like interpretive copies rather than "clones"

fsr_affinity_jb.

b) Is the headstock different (chunkier)?
    c) What is the true color of the lake placid blue? Post your pics.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    The top horn of the Affinity J is slightly smaller and slimmer than any others in the Fender Jazz family--my guess 1cm around the horn.

3. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Ok so I'm not imaging things. Thanks

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    you can really tell from this pic
    9450450773_7111b726dc_c.

5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Both horns look smaller.

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Fortunately the newer (2013-) Affinities now use the standard Squier open-gear tuners, not the (in my experience) crappy closed-box tuners.

I've seen a LPB Affinity up close. It's pretty darn close to the photo, but like all colors, it's values will change when exposed to different types of light (fluorescents, incandescents, sunlight, etc…).

7. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    The headstock is definitely smaller than standard fenders. If you look at the tuning peg placements, normal fender headstocks have more wood around them. On the squier, the round "scroll" starts right after the G string peg, and the pegs are spaced closer together. On normal fenders, the difference is pretty obvious.

8. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    They are also thinner from front of body to back of body, than most other Fender basses. Should be easier on the shoulder for longer periods of playing.

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    never thought i'd like a pink ebg. it's like yogurt.

10. look like jazz basses to me

11. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Not sure about that. My 3 Infinity fives all feel heavier than my American J5. But thebody is thinner.

12. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    That very well could be. It's been a little while since I owned my American Standard J5 (sold) along side my Affinity V's. It seemed to me at the time there was a <slight> difference in weight, with my Affinities being lighter. But I do concede that it could have been sheer expectation/perception - due to the thinner body difference. Wish I would have gotten around to actually weighing them for comparison, but never felt strongly compelled to do so for any particular reason.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  13. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    sorry to bring up old thread, but what year did they come out with the yellow affinity jazz?