1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Affinity Jazz in Slick Silver or Squier Contemporary Jazz in Dark Red Metallic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Rosen, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Squier Affinity Jazz Bass in Slick Silver

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Squier Contemporary Jazz Bass in Dark Metallic Red

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. I'm having this dilemma for over two weeks now. I really need a Jazz Bass sound for recording a jazz-funk/smooth jazz album in the studio (I'm currently an American P-Bass player) but I don't want to spend too much money on it. So I have been searching and searching, looking at some Mexican Player series, Squier CVs, VMs etc., but those were either out of my current budget or they were not appealing to me. But some days ago I've seen a gorgeous silver "Affinity" Jazz Bass and a red "Contemporary" one with matching headstocks at an online shop. I like them both but I'm not sure about buying them blind.
    Do you have some experiences with these basses? Are there significant differences between them or just the paint/finish and the country they were manufactured?
    I'm more curious about the "Contemporary" passive one, because the reviews on the internet are very sparse.

2. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Try to find Squier VM 77. I think it would be perfect for the purpose.

lokikallas and jd56hawk like this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've only tried two Contemporary Jazz basses and there was something about them I just didn't like...they felt cheap, just like the Affinity basses, which can be pretty much hit or miss. I've played quite a few, some were good, some were bad, one was junk and one was surprisingly good.
    Go for a used Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified. You can get either for the Affinity price.
    Other than that, as far as the CVs and VMs being out of your budget. the Contemporary Jazz basses are $350, you can get the CVs or VMs for that price.
    So what is appealing to you about the Contemporary Jazz as opposed to the better Squiers, the metallic finishes?
    If you like Silver, I'd definitely try to find one of these...best Squire made, better than some of the MIM Jazz basses I've owned/played.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  4. Thank you for your replies, I will save some bucks for the CV then - love the natural one with the black block inlays on the neck. The reason I was leaning towards the Contemporary one was the price - it was 296 euros at one of our local music shops. One more question: what is your opinion on the new Mexican Fender Player Series Jazz Basses? Is it worth the additional 300 euros/dollars compared to the CV? Are those that better in terms of sound? I read that they both use Alnico pickups.

jd56hawk likes this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I think that sounds like a lot of money for just another Jazz bass, although plenty of people here like the Player series.
    I'm pretty sure every song I can play on the Player J bass, I can also play on the VM or CV Jazz...and it'd sound just as good.
    Better pickups on the Player Jazz?
    Maybe, maybe not.
    Better fit and finish?
    I don't think so.
    Better hardware.
    Not necessarily so.
    Better all around bargain?
    I still say the VM and CV.
    Not to mention, you'll have money left over for a nice 100 or 150 watt amp.

Other than that, try out as many basses as you can...you might find something you like better than a Fender Jazz bass.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    FenderBassist likes this.
  6. Thanks very much again! Your points are absolutely right, but that Fender logo on the headstock is so tempting even though I know very well that it doesn't mean anything these days. I've picked up my friend's JB yesterday and it felt amazing, slap sounded beautifully, even the harmonics and muted notes - and it was a used SX which costed him 150 bucks :) These new CVs are really beautiful, the only thing is they are not available in my location so I am going to try one from a bigger e-shop. Do you have some experiences with these new Indian Laurel fretboards? How close are they to rosewood? The 60's CV with that Daphne Blue finish looks promising to me, but the fretboard's kinda "meh" for me on the pictures.

7. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    When I see that fingerboard, I am tempted to get a good black shoe polish and go after it.
    Indian laurel? It's ficus tree.
    [​IMG]

8. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    The contemporary has 12" radius fretboard. The regular ones are 9.5

Malak the Mad likes this.
  9. bassopotamus102

bassopotamus102

Mar 28, 2009
    I have the Contemporary Jazz Bass in Metallic Red and LOVE IT. it sounds great. plays great. well worth the price of admission. while not wild about the fingerboard look (thinking of dyeing it) I have had it and played two gigs on it so far and have zero complaints.

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

This is why I would buy the Affinity instead of the Contemporary. As pretty as the red + matching headstock is, I know my fretting hand wouldn’t take to such a radius. So, as much as I’d :drool: over the Contemporary, my comfort and ease of playing is more important.

That’s my advice to @Michael Rosen, go for what’s comfortable in your own, two hands. :thumbsup:

11. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I tried the contemporary, and was surprised I liked it. The EQ is a bit funky, but actually makes sense. It’s not really a “jazz” bass. More of an HH. I would find a VM or CV.

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've only tried two of the new ones.
    They just don't seem quite the same.

13. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
  14. Thank you guys for your advice and recommendations. Finally, I picked up this red beauty at my local guitar shop. I've tried out many Squiers, even a Mexican Player Fender, but this one made me say WOW! The neck feels super smooth and fast, the body is a bit heavier than my American P and the Player Jazz that I tried but not that much. The tone is what made me buy this bass - I think that they are some sort of ceramic single coils but man do they sound punchy and boomy mostly when slapping the funk out of it. Anyways, I highly recommend it to anyone, I don't know if I was just lucky with it, but this red beast can easily be one of your favourites too! Here's the picture of my collection:
    DSC_1308.JPG
    Thanks again guys!

Mili likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021