1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Affinity Jazz pups = MIM Std. Jazz pups?

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by eldoryder, Oct 17, 2013.

1. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Hi all-

Please excuse if this is a tired old question, but the search results under "jazz" are almost unfathomable! I need to know if the pickups provided by the factory on the Fender Standard Jazz bass (MIM) are significantly different from those on the Squier Affinity Jazz bass.

Would I hear a noticeable improvement by installing the MIM Jazz pickups in my Affinity Jazz? I have no intention of going to an active preamp, I'd like to keep it simple and just get a better sound using the passive setup.

TIA for any info.

2. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Moderator: Please move this post

3. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    My bad. Had too many links open, forgot where I was.

4. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    In any case - the answer is yes - you'll hear a difference. The VM and CV series Squiers have the Duncan Designed pickups that are pretty decent, but Affinity series instruments are not comparable. Do yourself a favor and replace them with pretty much anything, though if you can score a cheap set of MIM pups, it's not a bad place to start.

Note: Jazz pickups are not all the same size. I'm pretty sure the Affinity basses have two of the neck size models, whereas most Jazz basses will have a slightly longer unit by the bridge. Measure that before doing anything else.