1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Affinity Jazz V(Full Review)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Infidelity, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Infidelity

Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    I got this bass used on MF website and to my surprise the bass looks brand new with no scuffs, no dings and PG plastic still on it. It's just a normal Squier Affinity V with Black/Rosewood.

So yeah, the bass arrived yesterday and here's a run down on what's up with this instrument..

Finish/Fit/Weight

The finish wasn't bad at all for a squier and it is easily comparable to a MIM Jazz finish. The neck finish is to die for, it's really smooth and buttery.

The neck joint is really tight and the frets have no sharp ends. So for fit it's a thumbs up too!

The weight is not bad at all I would guess 9-10lbs.

Electronics

I though this one would be a real disaster but I was completely wrong.

The bridge pickup is really good on this bass. The neck pickup on the other hand is I would say what you will expect on a squier. The tone is mushy, muddy and no definition at all.

I have trouble with the string to string volume balance at first but nothing a screwdriver can't fix!

The B string is great. Every note is solid up and down the neck.

It seems like it is grounded properly too..

Hardware

Tuners holds up tuning really well. I slapped as hard as I could and the tuning almost didn't budge at all.

The bridge is a cheap bent bridge.

Playability

The first thing I noticed the first time I hold the bass is the set up. It was really low action and the neck has little relief.(ohh boy!) Tried some runs and I know something is wrong right away. All the strings was floppy so I checked the tuning and everything is way below standard tuning(stupid me for not tuning before playing).

After that a huge game changer hit me. I didn't expect anything great from a Squier but this thing plays like a dream. Really low action, no buzz, and the neck is really comfortable.

The B string tension is OK. Not so floppy, not so tight but that's coming from a person who plays between light and medium touch.

Overall

Coming from playing EBMM's, Sadowsky's, Dingwall's and Lakland's basses. I would say Squier is doing it right, for the money I paid for it. I'm really impressed! Though there are some issues with the neck pickup being lousy I would still highly recommend it but as always it is a Squier there are lemons out there and we never know I might just got really lucky.

I'm planning on refinishing the bass this summer/spring. It would be fiesta red w/ matching headstock.

2. Great review! I've thought about buying one to leave at the church I play at (save me from toting a bass to work). Thanks for the info.

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I will admit to being too suspicious of the low price to try the Affinity V (yet) but certainly the two higher priced Squier Vs I have tried are quite nice and the Active V is tied with an Ibanez SR505 as the best playing, most natural feeling fiver, for me, that I have had the opportunity to try so far. If there ever was a time when you could safely make fun of Squier it certainly is not now!

Ken

4. Infidelity

Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    No problem.. I highly recommend it specially for those sort of things. :)

IMO the VM Squier V's are very different than the affinity. The 2 inch nut and bulky neck profile on the VM bothers me.

I agree, after the CV's and the VM's great reputation even the really low end basses are shining quite well!

5. Haha, compare it with my review of Affinity Jazz V here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-report-squier-affinity-jazz-bass-v-long-790594/

Our thoughts on this bass are very similar, down to neck pickup quality. I initially didn't like the tuners, but after tightening the screws the play I mentioned in my review was gone.

Just put new strings on mine (D'Addario EXL170-5, 45-130), and it rocks! With .130 gauge, the B feels pretty much on par in tightness with that on the L-2500 I used to have.

6. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I just picked one up also and I love the playability. I can get real low action without any buzz and the B string is beefy. I am going to get a tort pickguard and am going to install a preamp. Don't know what yet but I am leaning towards an Audere since I don't want to do too much drilling and filing.

7. If I were to change ONE thing about the Squiers, it would be the cheap pots.
    Otherwise, even right out of the box they are pretty good.
    With a setup they are a real value.

8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Actually the VM V, the natural one, appears to have the same neck as the Affinity. It is the Deluxe Active V that is odd, ebonol fretboard, 2 inch nut, 12 inch radius. I think that all three have 19 mm string spacing. Even though their necks could not appear to be more different the Deluxe Active V and the Ibanez SR505 are the two that play the best for me. Both the Ibby and the Active V necks struck me as being very thin, front to back, maybe that is what I like. I hated the VM V neck at first but I have actually played it so often at the local shop that I am starting to get used to it.

Ken

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Squier5body.

Great idea!

10. Infidelity

Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    That's funny.. We almost have the same review! I agree a lot on the comment that it resonates really good!

Sounds like great upgrades! I will stay passive on mine but might change the pups.. :)

I'll change the pots and caps on mine soon.. Cheap and pretty much good upgrades.. :)

I thought the Actice V are VM's too.. I stand corrected.

I've never played the VM V(natural) but the actives I really don't like them.. :)

11. Fenders and Squiers are notorious for inconsistent quality. Always have been. I've had a 78 Jazz, a 64 Jazz and a 78 P that were reasonable. I've had a 90s Deluxe V that was very mediocre, I've now got a SX P that is outstanding and is my go to bass. With any bass, it pays to try several out of the same model. Some are diamonds, some are stones. They used to say never buy a Monday or Friday car.... maybe the same applies to basses. :D

12. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    exact same experience I had with the affinity v I tried at guitar center. great playing fiber with solid fretwork and low action. reasonable B string as well.

13. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I have been asked about which pickguard I used on my Affinity V. Figured I'd share for anyone else who may be curious. It's the standard Fender Jazz V pickguard and I got it from Musician's Friend.

Fender J Bass V Pick Guard: Shop Accessories & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

There is a slight gap near the neck that really isn't noticeable and you may have to shave the area near the control plate if you use the Squier control plate. Since I have an Audere installed, it fit without issue.

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I have to double check, but I do believe the VM V has a thicker neck than the Affinity V. The Affinity has the five inline tuners while the VM V and Deluxe both have the 4+1. I haven't played a VM V yet, but I saw one at GC and it definitely looked beefier at the nut.

15. Can't believe nobody has even asked for pics yet!!

16. I got mine last month. The preamp is a J-Retro

[​IMG]

Very nice bass.

17. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill

Very nice indeed IotaNet!!!! Like the way that came out. How does it sound?

I have the black one also but I am going to pick up the tort pickguard from MF and I am torn between the Seymour Duncan Blackout 2 band pre or an Audere. KPJ how does the Audere sound in yours??

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Affinity J-Bass V is a blessing to the broke and thrifty! I had one and put a thin piece of paper between the neck and body and I got the action stupid low like a Cirrus. I would not mind buying another and putting in some Nordstrand pickups and better pots plus shielding. I bet it would be a monster passive bass!:bassist:

19. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Could be, since I have never played an Affinity I can only judge that by the information on the Fender website which does not give any thickness information and only specifies the width at the nut. The Affinity and VM are the same width at the nut and have the same fingerboard radius. The Active V is wider at the nut, flatter, but seemed very thin when I played it. The Active V felt just right to me in fact while the VM seemed awkward initially and has grown on me since then.

Ken

20. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I have both and they play different and sound different. The Affinity is the more traditional sounding one shile the Active V is more modern sounding with the wider fretboard at the nut. I like how they both feel but I can not say I like one more than the other.