1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Squier Affinity Jazz V vs. Ibanez Talman TMB100 strung BEAD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BBassBassington, May 22, 2018.

1. Talman strung BEAD

85.7%
  2. Affinity Jazz V

14.3%
  3. Stick to my current 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Hey guys,

I'm sick of trying to learn stuff in drop tunings or what-have-you for the band on a 4 string strung EADG and then transposing it on my P5 tuned half a step down. So I thought why not pick up a cheap bass, it's not like it'd be leaving the house much if ever so I don't need something crazy.

I know it's kinda lazy of me, and that I'm 100% capable of doing the transposing, and that I should learn songs back to front before playing them with the band. I've got reasons too for not stringing the Jazz or SR BEAD. Perhaps they're thin reasons and I just want a new bass but I digress.

I've never played a Talman but damn is it cool looking, and I really want a mint green bass. To the point I strongly considered a Sub Ray5 while knowing I don't like how Stingrays sound and I'd probably sell it or it'd sit unplayed far too often.

The Affinity Jazz V I have played. I like it, I just don't like the colour. And if I was buying a 4 to get better colour choices I'd just go with the Talman anyway. Plus I have a Jazz already so I wouldn't be adding anything new tonally.

What do you guys think? Both instruments are similar in quality from what I can tell, so it's coming down to looks, a different sound, and $20 vs. having a G string, and definitely getting replaced in the future.

I'll be keeping an eye on the local used market too but it doesn't look promising. Most things are out of my price-range (at least the good basses) and very few of them are ones I'd want to own anyway.

2. Rompin Roddy

Rompin Roddy

Jun 29, 2016
    Tacony
    Go for it. Nothing wrong with having different basses with different tunings, strings etc..

Try and source it from somewhere that has a 30 day return policy or something. That way you can play it in context and see if it gets the job done.

Good luck!

3. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Thank you! Either will come from Long and McQuade so I'm good if I want to return either.

I take it your vote is for the Talman then?

Rompin Roddy likes this.
  4. Rompin Roddy

Rompin Roddy

Jun 29, 2016
    Tacony
    No problem.

Yeah, I mean I've played neither, but I'd probably be more exited to check out the Talman.

5. Leftka

Leftka

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    heres my talman short scale in bead. I LOVE IT!. it was an open box from MF $127.00

lewink and BBassBassington like this.
  6. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Damn that's bad ass thank you for posting that. That's a lot of bass for $127, and some groovy bass lines too!

7. Leftka

Leftka

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    thank you...

8. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    No problem.:thumbsup:

9. You are amazing Leftka. Great tune. I’ll be following you. You are up there with Bill Clements. Another gifted individual. Keep inspiring.

Leftka and BBassBassington like this.
  10. Leftka

Leftka

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    thanks a bunch...bill is way out of my league...thanks again

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021