Squier Affinity Jazzbass intonation issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeorgeFoxMusic, Dec 3, 2020.

1. GeorgeFoxMusic

GeorgeFoxMusic

Dec 3, 2020
    Hi all,
    and thanks for having me in this forum. A couple of days ago i bought a new Squier affinity Jazzbass. The intonation was off so i decided to perform a "full" setup, including 1. relief setup(there was no relief at all!), 2. action(it was ok except G string) and finally 3. intonation (i am a guitarist and i mostly have setup experience on guitars). When i finished the intonation setup (it was difficult to achieve good intonation in E and A strings as i had to bring the saddle to much forward), i noticed that even thought it was intonated around the mid section of the fret board i was off(flat) and over the 12th fret also. So to sum up i have only good tuning till the 5th fret approx and around the 12th fret ,after these areas the tuning is all over the place.
    This is a first for me since i had many guitars setups with no such problems. I am not talking cents in tuning differences(that are visible on the tuner) i am saying that you can clearly listen that ie E in A string is off(flat). Just to give you an example if an open string was off as such as i am seeing on fretted notes ,you would say i am out of tune.
    At this point just to let you know that i haven't changed strings and these are the factory strings(i usually change strings immediately after i purchase a guitar), although today i bought new strings to change the factory ones hoping that the issue is bad/dead strings(and wow these are expensive!haha).
    I have no other idea on this since i am not a bassist i do not know how quickly bass strings loose their capabilities. According to the S/N the bass was constructed in 2020.

Any ideas/advises, why this is happening and how i can correct it or make it better, welcome!

Thanks,
    George

2. Is the nut cut a little high maybe? Fret at the second fret... is there a lot of space between the 1st fret and the string, or just enough for a little bounce?

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  3. GeorgeFoxMusic

GeorgeFoxMusic

Dec 3, 2020
    I will have a look on this before the installation of the new strings. I will measure it according to the Fender specs with a filler gauge, thanks for reminding me this ,almost forgot! :)

musicman556 likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022