1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Affinity Jazzbass intonation issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeorgeFoxMusic, Dec 3, 2020.

1. GeorgeFoxMusic

GeorgeFoxMusic

Dec 3, 2020
    Hi all,
    and thanks for having me in this forum. A couple of days ago i bought a new Squier affinity Jazzbass. The intonation was off so i decided to perform a "full" setup, including 1. relief setup(there was no relief at all!), 2. action(it was ok except G string) and finally 3. intonation (i am a guitarist and i mostly have setup experience on guitars). When i finished the intonation setup (it was difficult to achieve good intonation in E and A strings as i had to bring the saddle to much forward), i noticed that even thought it was intonated around the mid section of the fret board i was off(flat) and over the 12th fret also. So to sum up i have only good tuning till the 5th fret approx and around the 12th fret ,after these areas the tuning is all over the place.
    This is a first for me since i had many guitars setups with no such problems. I am not talking cents in tuning differences(that are visible on the tuner) i am saying that you can clearly listen that ie E in A string is off(flat). Just to give you an example if an open string was off as such as i am seeing on fretted notes ,you would say i am out of tune.
    At this point just to let you know that i haven't changed strings and these are the factory strings(i usually change strings immediately after i purchase a guitar), although today i bought new strings to change the factory ones hoping that the issue is bad/dead strings(and wow these are expensive!haha).
    I have no other idea on this since i am not a bassist i do not know how quickly bass strings loose their capabilities. According to the S/N the bass was constructed in 2020.

Any ideas/advises, why this is happening and how i can correct it or make it better, welcome!

Thanks,
    George

2. musicman556

musicman556

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Is the nut cut a little high maybe? Fret at the second fret... is there a lot of space between the 1st fret and the string, or just enough for a little bounce?

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  3. GeorgeFoxMusic

GeorgeFoxMusic

Dec 3, 2020
    I will have a look on this before the installation of the new strings. I will measure it according to the Fender specs with a filler gauge, thanks for reminding me this ,almost forgot! :)

musicman556 likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021