1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Affinity or Vintage Modified five string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Oct 21, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Hey guys, i have been shopping around for five strings for awhile an unless I make a trade deal happen ill be choosing some kind of squier. My budget dropped recently so I'm between a vintage modified jazz V and an affinity jazz V. I've heard great things about both and the plain Jane look and low low price of the affinity intrigue me. I have a modded affinity P Bass that I love so I have no snobbery towards them. Which would you go with and why? Is it worth the extra hundred and some dollars for the vintage modified? This won't be a main bass but I'd still like it to do its job well. What do you think?

2. Personally, I'd go for the VM. I have two (a J and a P) and they are both excellent instruments. Now I'm not downing the Affinitys, I've never played one myself but, from all reports I've read, the quality control can be iffy sometimes, yet some have reported they got a really nice one. The VM line has a much better reputation. Yes, IMO, the VM is worth the extra money.

3. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    Neither. I was in exactly the same sitch as you recently.

Ended up getting a Sterling sub ray 5 in walnut... O M G

Best, most playable bass I've ever owned. Rivals my Ric for playability, and has a much more dialable, even tone; across all 5 strings.

If I didnt love my ric so much I would get the 4 string too!

4. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    In this price range, I'd go to the shops to try them out and buy an instrument I liked when test playing it. This especially goes for the Affinity, with its rep for sample variation.

5. Brocbass

Brocbass

Dec 24, 2012
    Sicklerville NJ
    I have the vintage n love it my friend has the affinity says it's a good bass but like me says vintage is def better

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The VM P5 is very good. I've played a few affinity jazz basses and they always sounded weak. It seems all the VM's and CV's are very good basses and not just for the money.

7. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    I don't know the VM V, but the IV seemed quite good for the price (even if too aggressive for my taste, so I bought the CV, which now is my main backup bass, after new pups and wiring). Recently I tested a Squier Deluxe V: quite surprising, both for tone and playability. I guy I know (quite a busy sessionman in pop scene, working with major pop artists) bought that as a backup.

8. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    I recently bought a Squier VM PJ 4 string, and I am very satisfied with it. The pickups have a real punch, which also brought smiles to the faces of the bassists running the shop were I bought it. I am not very experienced with P pickups myself, but compared to bass pickups in general, these seem both articulate and with enough power. My previous bass (the one I sold to make room for a P-bass) was a Peavey BXP Millennium, and that had considerably less punch in the stock pickups. I have also tried the Squier VM Jaguar PJ short scale, and the P pickup of the full scale PJ bass seems to have more articulation and punch. I am not sure how well my experiences translate to the 5 string VM P, but I do not feel the immediate need to change anything on mine (I did change strings to d'Addario Chromes flats, though, but even the stock roundwound strings were not that bad). It is not only my backup, but also the bass I use for home practice most of the time (since it is already out of its gigbag and ready to roll).

On my bass the fretwork is also very good, and I am able to set a pretty low string action (maybe the lowest on any fretted bass I have, although I only have had budget basses). All in all I find the new Squier VMs are a lot of quality for the money.

9. My drummer's affinity is so nice it makes his VM seem like a first act, and his VM is no slouch.

i'd try to play them both.

10. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA

Holla atcha boy, son.

Dwayne is right. My VM jazz is awesome. However, the Affinity P I bought for $55 bucks leaves it in the dust. Luck of the draw.

20131026_144152_zpsca3f8c6b.

11. you couldn't even put my Musicman in the pic?

12. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    It's the forgotten cousin. Maybe next time.