1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Affinity P-Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TC2112, Aug 12, 2009.

1. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    I just picked up a Squier P-Bass Special (China) (P/J) from 1997 with the affinity series logo on the headstock. It seems to be really well made and doesn't at all feel like the current "cheaper made" affinity series. I looked up the Affinity history at squierguitars.com and it states that the affinity series was used to bring out the basic stuff like P basses, J Basses, strats and teles in basic colors, and this seems to still be the case, but is the P-Bass special considered in this basic line?

So, my question is, did everything out of china get the affinity badge during that time? The Standard series was around in 97 and all the P-bass specials I have seen carry that badge. Does anyone else have one of these that they can comment on how they perform over time? I had one affinity before, for one day and immediately got rid of it. Not that I'm a Squier snob, I have a few standards that I love, but that affinity felt cheap.

This thing looks like it's been left in the rain and it had stickers all over it, but the neck appears to be workable, and I have some new hardware to stick on it. I will give you some before and after pics when it's done, but any input you have on the history of the affinity line would be appreciated.