Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier Affinity P-Bass vs Stagg BC300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapadlo, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    ok, i'm a beggining bass player and about to purchase my first bass. after a few days of research i stopped on those 2 models, squire was easy to find feedback about, but stagg not so much i asume it is less popular.

the prices for both are very similar and i am not planning on spending more. the differences are minor, at least for me.
    stagg has two pick-ups j and p, but hell i'm not even sure what they are for. i heard that they make you sound slightly differently, but i figured one is precision another is jazz? or something among those line?

i need a bass for a band my mates are starting, it will be aimed at punk/rock sort of music, however me myself i'm more into slipknot kind of music and would like to play that as well.

so if you have advise on those two guitars, or may be another one in that sort of price range it will be appreciated, thnx!

2. well, I haven't played THAT stagg, but I did play some others, they didn't compare to my squier affinity P, BUT you need to try all the squiers you can, and buy the best, the quality difference is astounding. If you're going to get a teacher, ask him to go with you to the shop, if not, try to find a bassist, that way, he can take a look at the basses too, as a beginner one bass won't feel that different to the other, so get an advanced bassist too judge, however if you disagree with him. Do your own thing. Pick one that makes you happy.

I'd say go for the squier, but try them out first

3. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    that would be a great advise, if not for only one complication, i really don't have a lot of money to start with, and only two of those are within my price range (which look descent enough) and i don't want to spend a lot since i'm not even sure how far i'm going to get into it.

so what i need is a very basic guitar which does what its supposed to do, and does it reasonably well.

i'm still concerned whenever i need two pick-ups or not.

P.S. thanks for that, i was leaning towards squire anyway :)

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You can do better than an Affinity or Stagg at that price.

A lot of people here rave about SX (also known as Essex) basses. They're a house brand of Rondo Music (IIRC) in the US and made by Team International in Taiwan. The same basses are distributed in the UK under the brandname "Jim Deacon".

5. Try and find pictures of the bands whose music you want to play, and see if you recognise the pickups on the bass. A P type will be like two dominoes set nearly corner to corner, and a J type will look like 1 finger of a Kitkat chocolate bar.

If your musical hero uses a P bass, go for a P bass, if a J, go for a J. It may not be the most scientific way to go, but it will move you forward, and probably in the right direction.

6. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    thnx for the tip on SX basses will look into it, so far no luck even finding any in stores in the UK.

Mottlefeeder most strange advise i have heard from anyone so far, also one of the most useful. i thought pick-ups would be associated with the style of music being palyed...

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
  8. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    wow, you guys are very dedicated, thnx dlloyd

cool thnx, but as far as i can see all of them are used, and thats something i am very touchy about. I want to get a bass and get it trashed myself, not having someone do it for me and then play it :)

but am i right to understand that you would prefere SX to squire?

again very touchy subject with pick-ups, from what i could find shavo uses 2 pick-ups, both J. However blink use P now i'm starting to wonder does it really matter, i can't even play a bass would i really care for pick-ups?

9. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    hmm i'm having second thoughs aobut it now, some basses on the second site do look rather tasty.

dlloyd, what would you advise on the subject of pick-ups

im hoping to paly the likes of system of a down, slipknot, blink, greed day, good charlotte, lost prophets.

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    On the HW audio site? They're all new instruments.

It's been a while since I've played either, but unless Squier have improved a lot in recent years, I would say that SX/Jim Deacon basses are a long, long way ahead of them.

The Squiers I'm familiar with were the Standard series, which come in at a higher price bracket than the Affinity series Squiers.

Shavo uses a Gibson Thunderbird for the most part. He's had a couple of Musicman Bongos custome made for him lately, but I haven't seen him use them.

If you want to be like Shavo on a budget, you should have a look at Epiphone Thunderbirds...

[​IMG]

http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/search_details.asp?ID=560

They come in a bit more expensive than either the Jim Deacon or the Squier, but Epiphones are pretty decent quality. The sound isn't really like a jazz pickup.

To be honest, not really. You're not going to sound too much like them even if you use the same instruments, amps, studio equipment, etc.

With the Thunderbird, you've got a fighting chance of looking like Shavo! :)

11. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    hehe a few good lauhgs there, now you are just breaking my heart, 250... and i would need an amp for that as well.

at least im getting soemwhere, would you say its worth splashing out that money to get a thunder bird, i really love the way it looks, but the way it plays?

12. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You can manage without an amp for a while.

They're not the most comfortable to play, in my opinion. They're a bit neck-heavy. They sound good for the type of music you like. And they look good.

It comes down to style vs comfort.

In a similar price range, there's Yamahas and OLPs which I quite like.

13. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    wow, wow, now we are getting even further from the subject.

i do realise the more i pay the better i get, but i need to settle for something, not too expensive, the optimal solution of price vs quality. i know its a personal preference but i don't have a clue, so if you could tell a bass i need to buy :) (preferably below $300 [£200]) i would be happy, all that advise was useful though.

14. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    i manged to realise what i want and also that i don't have enough cash to get it...

but from what i have gathered i will probably get a squire with a 20W amp and the bits £220.

15. I reckon you should go for something simple: a squire STANDARD (not affinity) - they're a bit more expensive (not by much) BUT generally feel better to play.

Either go for a Precision bass (generally used for straight ahead rock, but only really has one tone)

or a Jazz bass (perhaps a little more, but its got more tone variation using either pickup or both simultanously

look on ebay, you may find a starter package the way to go, think squire only do the cheapest (affinity) series as packages though - have a look in shops and play some, DON'T CHOOSE ON COLOUR OR LOOKS, I NEARLY MADE A BAD MISTAKE ON MY FIRST BASS WITH THAT!

16. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    well monday is nearing the day i planned on getting my bass, and i stumbled upon this little beauty: Yamaha Bass Guitar RBX374.

now, it uses the same pick-ups as gibson thunderbird, as far as i could find out! and costs 190 which is kinda pricey, but if its worth it im prepared to splash out a little bit, opinions?

the T-Bird is very nice but i have very little faith in e-bay, soz

17. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    that t-bird looks better and better the more i look at it, do you think its an okay deal, i mean with the trust issue...

i don't get it though... is it westfield? coz i can't find any thunderbirds under the westfield brand...