Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier Affinity P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, Dec 22, 2000.

1. Well, after all the replies to my questions so generously given on this forum, I ended up with a P-Bass, made in China.

I promised myself - I swore faithfully - I'd never ever buy anything like that. But I did. It's sunburst, plays well, feels well and was at a really good price so I jumped in.

No turning back now: most of cash saved for bass now gone!!!

Can anyone please tell me anything about it from the serial number: YN730824.

Thanks.

Rockin' John

2. Err, what I should have said above is that the P-Bass is second user. That's why I don't know when it was made etc.

Sorry.

John

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Affinity line is relatively new...just over 2 years in production.

As far as all this dating business, it's really only of interest when trying to determine the resale value of valuable instruments where the date can affect the price in a significant way.

To put it another way, if I like the instrument I am playing I don't care when it was made, eh?

Enjoy your new bass.

4. Hello, Brianrost.

No. I've no interest in it's resale value at all. I only bought it yesterday, paying £75 UK for what is really quite a nice bass. And enjoy it I will.

But the question still stands because I'm interested to know, that's all.

Regards.

Rockin John

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I believe the N7 in the serial number indicates it was made in 97.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Tracing of production dates by serial numbers is something that guitar collectors started doing years ago. Manufacturers don't really care, though some have started to publish serial number info simply because they get so many requests for it it's easier to just post it to their web site and direct people there.

As far as I know, Fender does not keep records on Squier serial numbers and no collectors that I've heard of have shown interest in doing the research as it's unlikely they will become an interesting collector's piece the way some other low-end basses like Danelectros and Supros have become.

Like I said, Affinity basses started production a little over 2 years ago. They have been made in at least two different factories in China (I have seen Affinity Strats side by side in a store with obvious differences in design, yet the store got them with the same Fender part number on the boxes!).

Over the years Fender has produced Squiers in Japan, Korea, Mexico, Indonesia, India (!!!) and China so trying to track down info on this multitude of models is daunting at best.

You could probably find out more about how old it is by asking the seller when he bought it.

7. OK. Thanks. This one's made in China.

From replies so far, then, it's likely to be around 97 or 98.

Thanks.

John

8. i have a squier affinity p-bass that i bought for $40. I don't think it was worth it. It has a good feel, but weighs alot. It buzzes badly on most all frets. sometimes i might get a good tone or two, but thats hard to find. Thats why im gonna try and sell it to some sap for more than what i paid for. :p

9. I got an Affinity P Bass in November. I love it. It plays great. Sounds cool. No buzzing. And its RED!!! The original strings are too light for my tastes. Its a tad heavy but Im used to it now. At least its balanced good. Ive played Epiphones that felt like the headstock had a dozen bricks tied to it. My serial number is CY00717235...does this mean its a Y2K?

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You paid $40 for a bass and you want to complain, too? Shoot, if it looks like a bass, $40 is a good price.

11. not if it sounds like crap ;)

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm with Munji on this one. For $40.00, you can't go wrong.

The first time I saw one of these at GC, I was like 'Made in China, $149.00? What a piece of crap!!!)

After seeing them every time I went in GC, I picked up a red one and played it long enough to realize that it warranted plugging in. Not many that I pick up do. If it sounds like crap unplugged, I put it down. For $149.00, this bass had a decent unplugged tone, and a nice fat P neck(which I don't like, I'm a J man). The neck was straight and free of buzzes.

Plugged in, I realized that the bass needed an electronics transplant, but then, almost all basses under $500 do anyway(IMHO).

I realized, that for $149.00, a beginner could get a very decent bass, and for $100 worth of pickup and electronics, have a nice bass at a steal of a price.

Check them closely though. I have seen many with good necks, but I have seen a few with warped necks, including one that would have made a nice corkscrew.