1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Affinity Precision/Jazz vs. Squier VM Jaguar Special??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el_ducko, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Affinity Precision (PJ)

33.3%
  2. Affinity Jazz

16.7%
  3. VM Jaguar Special

50.0%
  1. el_ducko

el_ducko

Jul 1, 2017
    So I'm looking for a Squier bass (starter kind of level since I've only been playing about 6 months) and I've found 3 in my price range that all sound pretty good to me and I can't quite decide which I prefer. Looking to play metalcore/hardcore with some friends (probs with a pick but maybe also with fingers).

I'm looking at Squier's Affinity Series PJ Precision and Jazz basses and their Vintage Modified Jaguar bass special. From what I can tell all 3 sound pretty good (I'm kinda drawn to the Jazz's sound) and feel fine to me. I'm not sure about the Jaguar active bass boost thing since I don't really want to have to worry about batteries and don't quite see why (if I went for an active bass) I'd only want control over bass boosting rather than mid and treble as well. Technical specs mostly look similar to me tbh (besides pickup config, and active vs. passive). I've not seen any reviews around that point out huge glaring issues with any of them either.

They all seem like good instruments and (from what I've read) can be modded for some extra mileage and improvement if necessary. Just want to know if there's anything I may have missed that needs considering before I pick one up and maybe get some general opinions on which is better??

2. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    I voted jazz since you said you like the Jazz sound. I've actually owned all 3 at one point and any of them are good quality basses for very little dough. The VM Jaguars have the bass boost that you mentioned that I personally find useless and keep off at all times. Also, the PJ pickup configuration of the Jaguar and the Affinity PJ can sometimes produce hum because unlike the Jazz bass, when both pickups are blended they do not hum cancel.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    I've tried quite a few of these.
    One of them had a bad neck. Two of them were less then inspiring, two were perfectly playable but not quite good enough for me, and one was very nice indeed and I found it hard to walk away from it.

Just one word, these aren't the best Squier has to offer and I believe your results will be the same as mine. You play half a dozen and you'll definitely find some clunkers and some questionable players...but you will find a winner.
    20170701_213604.