Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier Affinity series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Hi!

I'm not looking to buy a squier right now, but i was just wondering, what makes the affinity series different from a standard squier bass?

2. anybody know?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Perhaps where they're made? I don't know for sure...

4. It really depends on the model and the year. I own an affinity P-bass that I got used for $90 about 4 years ago. Had an arthritis flareup so I didn't play much till recently. I like the bass a lot but I was in a store yesterday and grabbed a new affinity P-bass and it was very different. the whole instrument was much lighter than mine and the neck wood felt like a crappy toothpick compared to mine. I also didn't like the tuners on the new one.

To the point, the particular things that tend to be cheaper on the affinity - one ply pickguards, thinner finish on the necks and headstock, edges of fretboard not radiused (don't know if other current models are - it is easy to do - see a thread I started on the luthiers forum), edges of the headstock scroll area may not be as well sanded, pickups may or may not be different depending on the year and model, other hardware may or may not be different depending on the year and model, cheap jack wiring etc but I don't know if it is different from the other cheaper lines. Don't know about other diffs that may exist.

Mine was made in Indonesia. The new one in the store was made in China. I have had no trouble setting mine up wrt the truss rod and bridge - everything has worked just fine.

If all the new ones are like the one I played yesterday, I would seriously consider used. I also doubt I would buy any cheap Squier without having it in my hands first. There are too many variables. A good one can be great but a bad one could be very bad.

Peace,
    S

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    nobody should buy a squier as long as SX is around (IMHO)

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think all basses should be evaluated on a case by case basis...any brand can have bad ones, perhaps some more than others; but it would be a shame to dismiss all Squiers without giving them a chance first.

My Squier Precision Special 5 that I converted into a lined fretless is an amazing bass! I've played some terrible ones too...

I've played one SX and it was awful, but I wouldn't automatically assume that all of them are...

7. If you are doing mail order, that is probably right. But where I live, I could probably easily lay my hands on 50 to 100 Squier basses in one afternoon and take my choice. I would be lucky to find even one SX that I could try. Also since 3/4 of the Squiers on the walls around here are used, there is a good chance of negotiating a very good price. Lets face it, when a store takes on of these inexpensive instruments in trade, they pretty much get it for nothing.

Peace,
    S