1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Affinity to Vintage Modified that much of an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by citizenchris099, May 24, 2012.

1. I am a proud / happy owner of a Squier Affinity Jbass. I've been studying bass since early December 2011 and the Affinity was the instrument that got me going. I've since purchased another bass (tuned piccolo) to practice higher register parts etc...
    My birthday is coming up and my Wife wants to get me a VM Jazz. I'm never going to turn down a new bass...especially one sanctioned by my Wife :bassist:
    What I'm curious about is the disparity in quality from the Affinity to VM line from Squire. Are the VMs that much better?
    I hear nothing but good things about them here on TB so I know they are good instruments. I'm really wanting to know how they compare to the Affinity series.

The reason I'm asking is because this particular shop has a sweet deal running on a Schecter Blackjack for $300 ( about he cost of the VM) which I know is a great deal.

So what do you guys think? I love my Affinity and having a better Jazz style would be awesome. The Blackjack is whole new territory for me with Active pups w/ on board eq etc...

2. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Affinities are a crap shoot, with the main variable being neck stability. If you get a good one, hang on to it. I've played some nice ones. The rest of the bass can be improved upon, pickups, pots upgraded, etc. Since you have a Jazz that you are happy with, look into the VM Precision for a different flavor to add to your arsenal.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Affinity doesn't hold a candle to any gold label Squiers in my experience.

I also don't think Squiers compare to Fenders but some folks disagree. YMMV.

4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    It's not a major difference. I don't want to put a damper on a thoughtful birthday present, but I would suggest either saving the money to get another bass in the future that is a major upgrade, or a different gift (maybe an effect unit).

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I think the VM Jazz is a definite up-grade from the "entry level" Affinity.
    VM has better p'ups (Duncan designed)
    VM has better wiring.
    VM has an overall better/solid feel to the build.
    I dont know which style you have, but the open gear tuners on the VM are better (larger diameter post)than the enclosed type on the Affinity I had. (i've seen both types on Affinities before).
    Like someone above said, the Affinity can be hit or miss QC wise, but the VM usually is pretty consistantly good.
    Hope that helps

6. Lawkeeper

Lawkeeper

Mar 12, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I'd go for it. I've got the same basses (both J's) and there IS a difference. Both have their individual charms, and their sounds are, to me, quite different. In a good way.