Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier and Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickroberts, May 30, 2002.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    What is the difference between the Fender and Squier Jazz Bass's. Is it worth getting the Squier over the Fender?

2. squire over fender??????

my good man you a completly confused. squire is a foreign made cheaper fender. never buy a squire or i will run over to your house and crack your skull open with it. sorry that sounded mean but i have an extreme distaste for squires.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Squier is Fender's budget line. They are made in the Far East (China, Indonesia currently; formerly Japan, Korea).The Squiers use cheaper components and are not of as high a quality as the Fender stuff.

Fenders today are either made in the US or Mexico (some models in the past have been made in Japan, too, just to confuse you).

Got to a store and try a few of each and see what you think.

Really, the only reason to buy a Squier is you can't afford the extra $100 or so to get the Mexican Fender.

4. The Squiers have the cheaper parts. Also, the Squier Jazz Bass is agathis, and the MIM Fender is alder. Personally, this is enough for me to spend the extra cash. The only current Squier bass that is made of Alder is the Affinity P-Bass.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    There's this one Squier Jazz at my local music store that blows away a lot of the mexi Fender Jazzes I've tried.

Then again, Fender has wierd quality control, you should definatley try the exact bass you are intrested in before you buy one cause they all seem to have their own "sound".

6. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Wait up - some Squires are really good. The eightes ones (when they were made in Japan) are considered by some bassits to be superior to Fenders from the same time.
    Newer Squires aren't all that good, but I think they deliver according to the money. I would consider buying one as a backup, but then you really have to make room in your budget for a pickup change

7. People see Squier, think budget bass, continue on thinking "It must suck." Two words, First word Bull, other word I can't say in public forums. I own a 1996 Korean made, alder body Squier P bass. It continues to blow away nearly every Fender I've played, with stock pick ups. Don't generalize Squiers because you think you can't find a great bass for $150.

Squier is owned and operated by Fender, therefor they have the same Quality Control restrictions in their factories. Obviously the standard isn't as high as the MIA Fenders, but I've played some POS MIA's.

Do yourself a favor, sit down, and play a Squier or three, a few MIM's and a few MIA's and make the choice based on which one sounds best versus which one you can afford. If people laugh because you play a $150 bass, astound them with your chops.

8. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    "Astound them with your chops"....

hrrm...

I prefer to astound the with my taste...:cool:

9. If by that you mean you have high end basses and no talent, they all the power to ya'. Sweet looking basses can still sound like crap if you don't know how to play, but a cheap, crappy bass can still sound amazing in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

Too bad gear isn't limited to talent.

10. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    No, actually I mean that I'd like to astound people with my tasteful playing.
    Chops - as in playing technically challenging things to impress is... i don't know... kinda vulgar, dontcha think?:)

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I thought chops was a measure of your endurance, not your ability to play sparkling solos. Is this not correct?

12. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    People usually speak of chops in the contest of "technical abillity". While chops are important to have to play good, they don't have anything to do with music as such.
    I.e: chops is a fysichal thing, anyone can achieve them with proper practice. Taste and musicallity is a whole different animal.

What I meant is that I'd rather impress someone with my music than with my chops - just as an artist probably would like to be recognised for his artistic idea rather than his brush technique.
    :)