Squier Bass Self-Help and Personal Affirmations Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JD Ronson, Jul 24, 2019.

1. You got flats on it @Hoyt ? And a foam mute? Nice!

Looks beautiful too! The "green" control plate threw me off, until I realized it's polished chrome and reflecting the grass.

LaterZ!
    Darren!!

Hoyt likes this.
  2. That is insanely hot.

Hoyt likes this.
  3. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    I usually have the D’Addario XL Chromes in light gauge on all my other basses, but I have the regular gauges on this bass. It’s a bit like playing piano wire, but the notes sound SO good.

Penphoe likes this.
  4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Not the best pic, and not a J, but, this is my recent thing, it gets played at least an hour a day. I almost literally can not stop playing it.

Less than a year old when I got it, still had the plastic on the pickguard. $49.99 total, pawn shop find.

Attached Files:

Greg Waldon, Penphoe and Hoyt like this.
  5. Brandon Stroud

Brandon Stroud

Sep 10, 2018
    Not a member yet (but ready to change that). I've been gassing for a jazz bass. Are the Newer affinity's decent, Or am I better off going VM/CV? I was hoping to mod whichever I get at a later date.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  6. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Affinity basses are purely for beginners, inferior everything... a VM or a CV would be the way to go (and they're really not much more expensive.

7. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I would argue that Affinities are for experienced players- who know how a bass should function, and have the skills/desire to mod, repair and adjust.

another vote for VM or CV, great basses.

wraub likes this.
  8. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    You can argue all you want, all of the parts and materials used are inferior, period (workmanship can be debatable but is generally more lax in the QA department). Can an experience player make 'em work, yup... but that doesn't make it better.

9. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    I bought a pawn shop special Affinity last year the the build quality, sound and playability rival some of the fenders that I have played. Definitely a keeper.

10. CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    My point was a bass with issues is a recipe for frustration for a beginner. CV/VM lines make for great beginner instruments.

By and large, I’ve been impressed be Affinity basses. But most have a few issues I would want to tweak to get them gig ready. Mostly neck/fret finishing or pickups.

I played a 2006 (I think) Indo Affinity Jazz, absolutely killer. I played it against a MIM and MIA, and if I was shopping for a bass that day I’d have picked the Affinity

Greg Waldon likes this.
  11. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    When I played the one I bought in the pawn shop, I turned the volume down quickly before anyone heard what it sounded like. Had a broke string. I made an offer of $45 and the man took it. Payed up and left like a flash. I didn't have to do any setup to it at all, even after changing the strings. The only other thing I did besides strings was a good, thorough cleaning. Good goobly goo was that thing nasty. Cleaned up like brand new. Definitely a keeper.

12. Time to mod again.
    Not happy with the tuning mechanisms, and it’s buzzy. I’m going to have to pull out my wiring and shield everything. Eventually it could be a good bass, but right now I relegate it to practice duty.

13. BluBasPlr

BluBasPlr

Oct 23, 2017
    Dalton, GA
    Great thread. Haven’t been on here in a while. Here are a few pictures of my Squier basses. Love them all. There are two Fenders in the pictures.

301DF3EB-1058-41E7-9397-A69B25DDD5CC.jpeg 6880017A-69E0-4E66-A716-D4B00073B727.jpeg 98421EA6-65F4-4473-ACEA-09C6D71CDB5D.jpeg

Hoyt, pinkjazzbass and JD Ronson like this.
  14. GH van Dijk

GH van Dijk

Feb 12, 2019
    Earth
    My Squier VM 77:

20191130_134821.jpg 20191130_135207.jpg 20191130_135128.jpg I replaced the bridge with something more substantial, and it needs cleaning... to morrow...

pinkjazzbass likes this.
  15. CallMeAl likes this.
  16. CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Well, I haven’t any experience with the HB line, but people seem to love them. (I see you’ve found the HB club ;) )

I searched for comparisons (I find the TB search stinks, so I just google “blah blah talkbass” and usually find what I want, faster.)
    squier vs harley benton bass talkbass site:www.talkbass.com - Google Search

I like the affinity line , especially the ones of the past few years I’ve tried. A PJ in particular is a great choice to start on, and that amp should get you started as well (I have the 25 for home.) I just bought a Squier bullet Tele guitar for $150 USD and it’s shockingly nice.

Best of luck, welcome!

PaleAngel_90 likes this.
  17. I have new Squier! I saved a $20 bass from possibly going into the trash.

So now I have two Squiers, a Yamaha, a Peavey and a Fender bass.
    Before:
    1N1SxBk6brvRdS8XnjFD2XNW2uFmlW0G4qQ4LwGKsAJ1iTXVXG4h4VtevoKZvyV35m2PO6sW=w708-h943-no?authuser=0.jpg

After:
    G7F1W7CkIk6bVCbzmCnNQF1J_gfJ9lpfvRVWnfdP3dELmyMnDO1dP2cHtbOlNyNTCPipVkA=w957-h1275-no?authuser=0.jpg
    LaterZ!
    Darren!!

grrg63, pbass74, Mvf and 1 other person like this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021