1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Bass VI should I even bother?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Mar 30, 2015.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    So, I have always thought the bass vi is an incredibly cool instrument and have wanted one since I started playing 19 years ago. Problem is I would never spend the kind of money they cost until this squier model came out.

I like the idea that I could do the Bass VI thing as well as put lighter strings on and go baritone. I am concerned, however, about intonation issues that I have been reading about.

So my question is with a few tricks (new bridge, strings, flipping saddles, etc) is it possible to get these to intonate properly or will I still just be "close"? Has anyone had one that just won't play in tune no matter what?

Intonation up the neck is a huge pet peeve of mine and as much as i'd like a bass vi I wouldn't enjoy it if it never played quite in tune.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why not try it out and see if it works before you worry about changing parts?

3. Agree. Also, I imagine upgrade parts for a Bass VI will be relatively difficult to find - at least compared to more common Fender models.

4. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    well I have already played a few in shops and none of them play quite in tune or were set up properly. I'm a little concerned that If I pick one up it will have intonation issues and just end up being a let down. Yes, I could take a chance but Id rather hear first hand accounts first. Thanks!

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The ones that you played in shops that weren't in tune and weren't set up.......well....they weren't properly tuned and they weren't properly set up. That's kinda a reality of any bass in a store. There's no reason to expect that once you've tuned it and set it up it shouldn't be playable. I'd imagine more of them are perfectly functional without serious mods than not.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Intonation is physics. You can't get past the laws of physics. If the saddle travel is within the theoretical scale length and the 12th fret is in the right place it will intonate and is not a hardware problem. Any problems can be traced to setup issues and or strings.

Tell them to set it up properly for you and you'll consider buying it. See if it will perform.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I recommend checking other brands first. I have 30" bass VI / baritones from both Rondo (Agile) and Eastwood that I'm very happy with. 2 out of the 3 came strung for E-E, the other was B-B and I restrung it for E-E without problems - slight intonation adjustment required, but minor. It's not at all surprising that music store floor instruments would be out of tune and poorly set up. especially something unusual like a bass vi.

8. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    DevinWard369 likes this.
  9. DudeMann

DudeMann

Sep 8, 2013
    You have wanted one for nineteen years GO FOR IT! I do not know what your music shops are like where you live, but I have seen them floating around where I live. I also have played one before and it felt and sounded good. The guy that owned the one I played was really into experimental stuff and was pretty rough with his instruments. The thing was in tune and set up relatively well. It was a definitely a unique instrument and I could totally see someone doing something very creative with it. You could also pick one up used so you would not be out as much if you don't like it. I bet there has to be someone somewhere on this forum that wants to sell one.

10. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I just picked up the squier vi and mine has no intonation issues. Its perfect right out of the box. Maybe they fixed those issues? Either way im having fun with it. It wont be replacing my musicman stingray but its still fun

11. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I got a VI a few months ago and had to the bridge flip and a little mod on a saddle -- actually a local tech did it -- and now it plays great. It's worth it in my book. Even with the extra $50.

12. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Oct 18, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have a VI and its fun as hell for a relatively small investment.

I would in the future like to get a staytrem bridge, and possibly a locking tremolo plate. Bridge due to some buzzing (unamplified) and locking trem because I like options.

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Just figured out where I can get a 12 string roller bridge - tremolo bass XII in my future!

Joe Kyle likes this.
  14. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I have a Squier Bass vi and it required a some setup,
    first thing I did was replace the strings with a LaBella set, the factory low E is the wrong gauge.
    Then did string height and intonation,
    but it did have some persistant string buzz on the low E, but fixed that as the intonation screw almost touched the string with the saddle screwed nearly right back (cut the screw shorter).

After the setup, it plays and feels like magic, no problems at all, except get used to the string spacing before you use it at a gig ;-)

15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Eastwood also makes a cool VI. Probably a bit more expensive than a Squier but also probably better quality.

16. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Just out of curiosity, have you guys that own the Squier VI found a use for them on a gig? I've thought about buying one also.

17. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Could easily use one for a gig (and have), it sounds as low as a regular bass - it can do deep and punchy,
    but it still feels and looks like a guitar,
    and I use 5 string basses usually for gigs anyway.

18. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Im playing mine in a 2 piece grindcore band with lots of fuzz!

19. I shelled out about a bill for a Staytrem bridge, which really helped, but its not a bass you can "bang" on. The Squire VI is more of a finesse bass, or to be used as a low-tuned guitar (a la The Cure, etc). After a good set-up and that bridge, it's pretty good, especially fuzzed out like Spaz mentioned. I would advise anyone thinking about the Fender to try to Squire first and consider replacing the bridge (both have crap bridges).

Treadstone71 likes this.
  20. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Ah-yup, I have one, it's very very nice - the Agiles are as well, but the Eastwood is somewhat better quality. Thanks for the Ed video, always a pleasure!