1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by muckazowie, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. muckazowie

muckazowie

Sep 25, 2017
    I'm starting a rock band with my friends and i wanted to know if i got this guitar whether or not we would need another bass player like are the lows low enough to replace a regular 4 string bass guitar?

2. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    No one here can answer that for you, really. You need to try it out for yourselves, and see if you like the sound.

That said, yes, there can be plenty of low end in a bass VI EQ-ed right :)

Kustom_Thunder, TolerancEJ and lz4005 like this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    EQ and played through the right amp.

Aqualung60, 40Hz and TolerancEJ like this.
  4. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    679C02D2-1BC1-48EF-8F2A-1DB6E0C3147A.jpeg

Jack Bruce played a Fender VI with Cream for a long time. No complaints.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  5. I say give it a shot. Like others said, you can get a good sound if you have decent EQ and amp. Also, many players do not like the strings that come from the factory. Players enjoy the Bass VI more when they switch to LaBellas.

If you're open to used items, you can probably find one around $300. Not too much of an investment. It would be a huge bonus if you have the means to actually try one of these instruments before considering to buy it.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    He recorded part of Cream's first album with one, then changed to a Gibson short scale 4 string.

But, back to the subject at hand, a Bass VI can sound like a short scale bass if you plug it into a bass amp and play it like a bass.
    It can sound like a low guitar if you plug it into a guitar amp and play it like a guitar.

7. Drop a series re-wire into it, and you have a very bass bass... many years now, no complaints, plenty of complements.

Attached Files:

8. Backdrop

Backdrop

Feb 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
  9. Yes

The original bass player with The Hollies was very adept on a Bass VI

the-hollies-uk-pop-group-in-1964-see-description-below-photo-tony-cerg24.jpg

ColdEye and mpdd like this.
  10. I find the real trick with these is to get the strings set up so the action allows you to play it more like a bass than a guitar - depending how you like your standard basses set up, that is.

11. Mahcks

Mahcks

Dec 22, 2014
    texas
    I bought a Squier bass VI on Amazon and it is far and away the lowest quality Squier I've seen. There are the obvious troubles that you'll read about like how it's impossible to intonate without an aftermarket bridge. Then there's just terrible build quality. The tone knob does nothing but spin. One of the screw holes in the neck where it connects to the body has a chunk of wood shoved in it because the hole had been stripped. The strings aren't grounded. By the time you pay for the aftermarket bridge and tail piece and whatever else you need to replace, you could have just spent a little extra on a different brand bass VI.

But yes, it does have the same range as a 4 string (and then some).

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Who was selling that through Amazon? Do you remember who the dealer was?

13. muckazowie

muckazowie

Sep 25, 2017
    I understand fully the pitfalls of buying squire guitars, I started out as a guitarist and own a squire strat (jack of all trades master of none) and if the basses are built anything like the guitars i know i can expect my fair share of necessary modifications. but since I'd like to start gigging with my new band asap i have to settle for what i can afford. I was thinking about getting a Thunderbird, purely for the aesthetics, but when i saw the sb6 i fell in love with the idea of a bass guitar guitar and having read lists of guys who have used it i felt it would work with the music i want to play. however if any one knows a cheaper 6 string bass guitar like the sb6 i'm all ears.

14. I didn't like the Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI or the Squier VM Bass VI so I built my own using Warmoth body and neck. Matte black pickguard on gloss black body with ebony fretboard. What's not to love!

20170924_175748.jpg

It is great fun to play, and sounds great.

Bass VI's have been used on lots of recordings and played by lots of artists, the Cure, the Beatles, the Shadows, etc.

15. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Even if you play guitar as well as bass, expect to change your technique a bit; it's not a good or bad thing, it's just a different feel altogether. Fatter strings, close together. Yes, of course, you can play it like a bass. You will more than likely want to use just the neck and middle PU's together, and I prefer using my fingers, but using a pick is valid. I have sat in with a friend's honky tonk band, along with a regular 4-string bassist, playing 'tic-tac' style on Patsy Cline and Ray Price covers employing a pick and the bridge pickup, playing in the same register(but different lines), and neither of us stepped on each other's space. The main mod/expenditure to expect is to upgrade the bridge...definitely get a "Mustang" type bridge, or, if you have the cash, get a Mastery...
    Guitar Bridges | Guitar Parts + Luthier Supplies in MN | Mastery Bridge

Here's a good example of Bass VI as bass....

...and as a twangy low register lead instrument(even though this was probably a Danelectro 6-string bass, tuned the same as a Fender)...

In the early days of British rock'n'roll, you had this going on...

You might have heard of this guy...

4fdf5c1cf4b0c4deecbc06c2a7cd0e91.jpg

16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I had one for a while and it was fun to tool around with. Did not have any of the quality issues that @Mahcks spoke of, maybe I just got a good one or he got a lemon, I don't know. One thing that seems to be common to the bass VI design (not just the Squier take) is a bit of string rattle, I could never get that completely damped down and youtube reviews of other brands' VIs mentioned the same thing. At the end of the day, I sold it because I never found a satisfactory technique to regularly use it. Play it mainly for bass parts and you have all these extra strings you're not using, and then you start to wonder why not just play a standard bass. Play it on the lighter strings for chords and you're missing the bass. I think if you have a clear sense of how you're going to use it in the music you're playing it's a great instrument, but it doesn't fit everywhere.

17. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    That's not true, he didn't have a lot of love for that bass.

18. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    what is the string spacing on these?

19. I love it for what it is, not as a replacement for a traditional 4 string. You can't play it fingerstyle like a trad. 4-string due to the string-distance (too close, more like a guitar). They are ideal for plectrum players like Peter Hook.
    "Dreams Never End" is an example of a song, where the Bass VI is used for high register melody-playing AND the Low End.

Some of the complaints about the Squier are complaints about the original design of the Bass VI.

I had a Pawnshop - much higher quality than the Squier, but I definetely missed the "kill-switch".
    I kept a MIJ VI from 2013. The best. And the only one that has the correct bridge - not even the US customshop Fender VI has the correct bridge.

But in all honesty: I wouldn't keep it or play it as my only bass.

For a short while I had both:
    2015-05-16%2012.12.23.jpg

20. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    If you put on LaBella Bass VI flats it should sound enough like a bass. The stock roundwound strings sound a bit more like a baritone than a bass.

Also bear in mind that the Bass VI is better suited for pick playing than it is for fingerstyle, although it can certainly be adapted for it by simply using the index finger alone.

So to summarize - flats will get you the early Jack Bruce sound ala "Fresh Cream" and rounds will give you that Robert Smith of the Cure sound.