1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troutbum22, Jan 12, 2012.

1. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    Two of my local shops have told me that they expect Fender/Squier to unveil some additions to the Squier Jazz Bass line at the upcoming show. Anyone else heard anything like this. I would love to see another color in the Classic Vibe Jazz Bass category.

2. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Me too..an affordable Antigua would be great! Or a nice Coral..

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I would like to see one that has the Geddy neck, not just in looks, but the " slim profile neck ".

4. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Squier = Guitar company that is a part of FMIC

Squire = The bassist from Yes...

easy enough mistake to make....but still surprises me that a board full of people who can rattle off the string spacing of 23 different 5-strings from memory can't keep the Squier/Squire thing straight... :) :bag:

5. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    corrected

6. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/new-basses-2012-a-832257/

They've already announced the James Johnston sig Jazz, and the Mikey Way sig Mustang. I've heard rumors of new colors for the CVs, but that's just what it is - a rumor. It's also the same one we've been hearing for the last 2 years, at least. NAMM is a week away, so we'll know soon enough.

In the meantime, you can read this MusicRadar blog - NAMM 2012: Rumours and what we know so far - to keep yourself updated.

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    People remember the things they care about. Almost no one cares about the proper spelling of Squier and I am not so sure that they should ... at least not to the extent that some of you do. Squier seems to have come to us from France via the Norman invasion in 1066 and therefore should properly be spelled with a C not a Q. Dictionary.com says it came from the Middle French escuier, which Miriam-Webster claims came from the Late Latin scutarius, so the Q was picked up in England. Online sources are not entirely clear as to whether squier or squire is the oldest English spelling and since English spelling was not standardized until much later and the English language itself has undergone vast changes since that time there probably is no answer to that question. Clearly squire and squier are exactly the same word. Really the only difference to us is the form used on Fender headstock decals and in Fender's trademark application. I try to always spell it as Fender spells it but it don't make no difference to me really.

Ken :D

8. Clearly your definition of "exactly" differs from mine.

Just sayin'. :D

9. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

10. TornadoFX

TornadoFX

Nov 20, 2011
    squier-mikey-way-mustang-660-80.

0301078502_frt_wmd_001.

11. Sorry, brother, but you have no evidence; it seems evident the contrary, instead: every time the name is mistaken, there always is somebody that volunteers to get things straight.

well, that is your legit opinion; but since we are in a mature people forum I will give you mine (about correct spelling):

1) it is just the right thing to do

2) costs nothing

3) gives a better image of the poster

3) pays respect where respect is due: how would you like to see often mistaken names like "Fander", "Ghibson", "Richembacher"?

;) V.

12. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    I think I have everything corrected now. Just let me know if I missed anything. I would love to see a black classic vibe jazz bass.

13. African or European?

14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Yet despite the fact that everyone knows exactly what is being talked about, someone always feels the need to correct the spelling.

We aren't taking the SATs here, this isn't school or work and we aren't answerable to anyone on this board.

I'm 54, married, full time job, 3 dogs, 2 cats, a band, elderly parents, a house to take care of and I have to say that I don't give a s*** how anyone spells Squier. :D

15. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    :confused: looks the same as the old one.

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    What brand? :D

17. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    squier classic vibe jazz

18. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Did they actually make a CV Jazz in this color, or CGI colorize a stock white pic of one to see how people would react to it?

19. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    They are the same word, as are color and colour for example. By either spelling squire denotes an occupation (a knight's assistant/knight-in-training) or a feudal social position (just below a knight). Evidently Mr. Squier's surname is one of many that were lifting from an ancestor's occupation or status. If they had come from a different part of England they may have spelled their name Squire, saving us all a lot of confusion. My surname has at least 8 variant spellings that I can think of, all derived from the same root name and so all are effectively the same name.

Ken

20. Well Ken, not to split hairs, but you said "squier" and "squire" were "exactly" the same word. You may think so. I do not. Spelling is important to some. To others it is not. If you want to say "color" and "colour" are the exact same word, have at it.

Either way, it really isn't germane to the OP's question.