Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by genesis6891, Jul 8, 2003.

1. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Anyone in a good position to say what they honestly feel is the difference between Fender's Squier range, and Fender's usual range? I'm starting to think that although the quality is better on straight Fenders, the psychological factor that the Squier is simply a budget bass is what is putting it down more, rather than its sound or playability.

Any opinions? Anybody here played a squier jazz, what do you think? I may be getting one soon so not too many downers please;)

2. To my experience, they sound like crap, and they feel like crap. :spit:

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i own an american jazz, and an affinity P. The Jazz has a better feel, and mostly better tone. The materials are a lot better too. But my squier has barts. It has a tone that I just like. Especially with the flats I put on it. With squier, you have 5 to 10 percent change of getting a gem. With mexican fenders, about 25-30(maybe higher). Americans are much higher, around 80-90. But it still is all preference.

4. I know soon id like to try one of those Squier P-Bass Special 5 strings.
    It has 2 Jazz pickups in a P-Bass body. I think its kinda cool.
    Probally change the 'pups' But id still love to try it considering its one of the only cheap 5 string P-Basses ive seen.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    definitely change the pickups. They are 4 string jazz pickups, and the bass side polepiece doesn;t cover the B as it should. It would be a fine cheaper bass with new pickups.

6. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    my squier p is lacking on quality to say the least

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Imo Squiers get a bad rap because theyre associated with Fender, which is the brand of Basses so many love to hate.

Does anyone really think there would be so much smack-talk about Squiers if Warwick made them?

8. My first bass was a Squier Special 4-string, which I'm considering defretting now that I have my 6. Anyway, I'm happy with it. I kinda hated it back before I knew how to set it up, but lowering the action and straightening the neck made him play really nicely. The J pickup cut out for a year, then started working again :confused: It has a really kick-ass tone though, especially for Iron Maiden or Rush stuff.

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have a suggestion for ya. Try picking up one of the older Squire Pro Tone IVs. It came in a ruby-red see-thru ash body only with perliod pickgaurd and 2 passive soap bar pickups (could had really been 2 P pickups on a soapbar shell). Big-ass neck and heavy; but far better quality than the current Squire 5. If you have the strength, I think you'd get more out of it than the current model.

r

10. Back to the original question. Squiers take a beating because they're "beginner" instruments more than for any other reason. If you want a Fodera, you pay top dollar...if you have a couple of hundred bucks you buy a Squier. They are what they are.

11. I've been playing bass for about 3 years now, on the same Squire Affinity P that I got when I started out. I've got no complaints, the finish isn't wonderful quality, but then again, that doesn't matter.
    The tone is fine for what I do, it's got a strong low end and punchy highs, it's sturdy and reliable, and cost me about £150. Absolutely great to start out and progress on.

It's also an advert for Fender, people who start on them are more likely to buy a real Fender if they like the Squire. I'm definitely going to get a Fender P-Special as my next bass, because P-Basses do everything I need them to.

12. Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Sep 27, 2001
    London
    i have a squire p-bass and it may not have the best sound etc, but theyre great to start with and play well, for me anyway, i love it.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Just got a Squier P-5 string 1996 Pickups changed to Barts.
    New input jack, pots,
    Plus phase switch for pickups.
    All work do by former owner.
    All for $300.00
    with upgrades the bass plays and sound
    like a $800.00 bass.

14. When I got back into bass about 3 years ago (after about 25 years off:eek: ) I bought a second hand, made in China, SQ. Affinity P Bass.

Taking into account that the bass is a budget model, I thought it was surprisingly good. The action was absolutely superb: one of the best I've ever seen anywhere. The feel was good and it sounded OK.

I considered all sorts of upgrades for it but decided against on the grounds that, at the end of the day, it was still a China made budget bass. Any money I had would be better spent on trading up. So that's what I did.

John