1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Bronco basses....weight range?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Aug 4, 2016.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I've decided on a Bronco bass and bought one stupid cheap that is resonant but its 8 lbs.....already own a 72 MM bass that is very lightweight and resonant, maybe 6 1/2 lbs.

How much do the Bronco basses vary in weight?

I am guessing 7 lbs is among the lighter versions?

Any 6 lb Broncos?

I sure could use a 6 1/2 lb bass.....but could get by with a 7 pounder.

Whats the lightest Bronco that sounds good?

Thanks in advance!

2. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    Very valid question. The one I kept is about 6 3/4 pounds. It sounds great. In fact, it is the first instrument that I ever had that I vowed never to change.

The one that I didn't like was a cinderblock. I changed its owner.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I haven't searched threads on Broncos much.......that said, I stay away from heavier than average guitars in general for their given design, mostly because of back problems.

I must say if I can get the intonation a bit closer I really don't need to change anything on this Squier Bronco besides strings...I would like to try flats.

I am a tinkerer by nature, having changed WAY too many pickups over the years in guitars!

4. I have used five Broncos as donors for projects. The lightest stripped body weighed slightly less than three pounds; the heaviest was over five pounds.

5. melikecookies

melikecookies Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    York, PA
    I have had quite a few broncos pass through my hands. There are 6lbers out there, I have had the pleasure to own a couple without really looking hard. The heaviest I encountered weighted a little over 8lbs. Most seem to fall right in between the two in the 7lb range.

Rocker949 and DavidEdenAria like this.
  6. Mine weighs 6lbs 2 oz.

The bodywood is pretty light and soft.

Seems they make Broncos with varying bodywoods.

Be interesting to see if the heavier ones with different woods sound better or worse than the lighter ones.

7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    When it comes to short scale basses, I only have the recent Bronco & 72 Musicmaster bass, so I don't have any sort of other reference for short scales in my home.

I will try to compare it to several other Broncos, but of course the strings and setup will make a difference.

One thing I noticed is lack of string noise with the Bronco compared to my 32 & 34 scale basses all with roundwounds.

I think the workmanship looks solid on this Squier Bronco......does this tend to be the case with most of them?

8. I didn't have any workmanship issues on mine...