Squier Bronco Modding Project

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Michael Dalia, May 25, 2021.

1. Michael Dalia

Michael Dalia

May 25, 2021
    I recently picked up a squier bronco after testing it out, and I really enjoyed it. Of course, I do want to mod it and really make it my own with pickups, bridge, new paint job etc..

Where should I start?

I’m trying to get an old school sound (similar to a rickenbacker) but also something that I can jam out with today’s newer stuff.., wallows, the killers, etc

2. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    really depends upon how good you are with your hands or are in farming out the work, but with those things, everything but the wood is up for grabs. they're a pretty good mod-mule. were it mine, i'd start with a new quality nut and upgrade the tuners.

i don't like the bridge with it's saddle arrangement. intonation isn't best managed with that thing but i don't think there are purchasable options that match that funky shape or you can graft in something better. being handy in a machine shop though, i'd make a new one.

pickup wise there are options as it's basically a single coil guitar pu or you can rout for something bigger and mod the pickguard to suit or craft an entirely new one. being a top loader, things are easier.

you can also mess with the tone cap and the pots for subtle changes in sound if that interests you. get some strap locks, set it up well and you'll be alright.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The standard upgrade for a Bronco pickup is to use a Strat-style rails humbucker. Since you want a brighter tone, a bridge version of a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails, or something similar in tone, is what you may be after. Using a Strat-style rails HB obviates any need for routing or cutting. Remember, the Bronco stock pickup is an oriental version of a Mustang pickup, same size.

For a bridge, I have used this bridge on several basses to change from the 2-barrel-saddle bridge to a 4-saddle bridge, and it provides the proper intonation so you can gig the bass:
    4 String Bass Bridge For Bass Guitar L Shape Saddle 18mm Spacing Chrome 634458184885 | eBay
    The only catch is, depending on the strings, you might need to trim the spring and the intonation screw on the E string about 1/8 inch.

You may not need new tuners.

I recommend a set of GHS Balanced Pure Nickels strings. My friends and I have tried almost every short scale set out there over the past 45 years. GHS BPN's are God's gift to the short scale string world. Big, round, clear tone, consistent up the neck and string-to-string, very little "new string zing," enough tension that they don't flop, the E string doesn't go thumpy like on many flatwound sets. I put a set on my short scale travel bass last fall to get ready for my band's annual trip to Mexico last February. Through extensive rehearsals and gigs, I still haven't had to change them yet.

After that, the world is your oyster as far as personal preference for aesthetics.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022