Squier Bronco Pickup Wars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Michael Dalia, May 27, 2021.

1. Michael Dalia

Michael Dalia

May 25, 2021
    I have a Squier Bronco that I just picked up recently, I really like how it feels and plays (except for the actual sound of it). So I'm thinking of putting some mods on it. I've been looking at some cool rails and a Gretsch 2202 pickup. I'm kinda torn between what to buy, any recommendations? (It does not have to be the two listed above). I'm just looking for a solid vintage sound similar to a 70s mustang, but also something that I can jam out to with today's newer stuff... The Killers, Blur, etc

2. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I thought a Lace Sensor Red sounded pretty cool. Gave it some output and body without too much nonsense.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I put one of these in mine:

L45-S

I really like it.

ctmullins likes this.
  4. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Most Strato pickups will fit without woodworking.

Many like to use rails to avoid polepiece/string offset problems.

5. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    My Bronco is my quirky pick bass that looks cool on stage, not a tone machine.

I put in a cheap dual rail humbucker. About 10k. I don't like the sound but it was either this or the hum-fest stock pickup. I can't afford a Dimarzio or Seymour duncan or any boutique pickup, they cost half the price of the bass or more. If i had the bread I'd put in a true gold foil pickup like Nick Campbell.

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    What about the stock pickup bothers you? That’s a good place to start

andare likes this.
  7. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Shannon and Becky might make another run of microcoils for bass if there's enough interest. Should be the liveliest true single coil for Bronocos and Telebasses if you are into that.

jallenbass likes this.
  8. Metallifan101

Metallifan101

Mar 5, 2019
    I used an EMG SA active pickup and it definitely gave my Bronco more volume and control over tone, things that the original pickup severely lacked. Came with all of the wiring and the control pots with easy plug and play wiring.

9. Metallifan101

Metallifan101

Mar 5, 2019
    0523210052c.jpg

WI Short Scaler and matt-o- like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021