1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier by Fender 5-string Precision bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progrmr, Apr 23, 2009.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've got my eye on one of these for a local sale but I've read a lot of comments about the B-string being very floppy.

Also I'm kind of surprised at the pickups - why would a precision bass have 2 single coil Jazz pickups? haha, probably a newb question but I figure this would be the best place to ask it :)

guy wants $175 for it - I'm going to play it tomorrow night but was wondering what the consensus on this bass is, and if there is anything specific I should be aware of. Seems like an inexpensive way to dive into a 5'er.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Actually I prefer the simpler P-body shape to the more curvatious Jazz shape. If I bought one I'd have to route it and drop in a 5-string P-pickup. :)

3. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    good basses...the pickups are the weak point. they are the same size a 4 string pickup. If you replace them with a set of EMGs or Barts or something, it makes a world of difference. The necks on these are very comfy and playable. I had one for a bit, but the truss rod was geeked on it so I couldn't tweek it. someone over cranked it and broke it I think. Had a serious back bow to it. Sold it off in parts. I think this was the exception and not the rule. If I needed a budget 5er, I would def. snag one of these or the Deluxe Actvie 5 by Squier. (which suffers from the same pickup problem).

4. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Cool - a couple of positive comments. I expect to have to replace the pickups, but figure if it needs it maybe I'll just make a project bass and replace the pots, shield the cavity and upgrade the pickups. Thing is, I'm not a fantastic electrician so I have to be careful. Hate to make a playable bass un-playable! haha.

5. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I had this bass, the B string is no better or worse than any other 34" fiver. I put D'Addario flats on it and it had a nice tight feel. Tone with the neck pickup was nice and woody, but the bridge pickup was pretty thin, I never used it. About a month ago I gave it to a kid at my church after getting a Fender American Standard P-5, didn't need the Squier anymore. But nothing wrong with the bass, you'll enjoy it, especially if you put stronger pickups in.

6. PauliePower

PauliePower

Dec 9, 2008
    Reading, UK
    I had one of those for a year or so, sold it a couple of months back. Nice playing bass, if a little heavy. As pointed out, the pickups are rather weak. The tone wasn't bad though, more J than P, just had the crank the amp a bit more to get it. I'd recommend one, just make sure it plays fine to start with.

7. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    a very good bass IME, very comfy neck with nice string spacing
    the pups or decent, not really bad. but not very good IMO