1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier by Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Aug 28, 2012.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

*info received.

2. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

By most people's definition, FMC qualifies as a large multi-national corporation. As such, some of this stuff is hard to pin down.

VM Squier basses are outsourced to the same folks who make Cort, in a factory or factories in Indonesia. The last time I checked, the CV series are made in China by ???

Design details can be pretty murky, too. Some active Squier, Ibanez and Cort basses have similar preamps, suggesting that Cortech employees did the heavy lifting in that area.

As far as Fender personnel goes, what's your definition? Would locals in Indonesia and China, hired by Fender to do independent quality assessments count? US engineers that fly in periodically to meet with factory management to resolve issues? US employees that approve CAD/CAM files before they're transmitted to the factory overseas?

To my way of thinking, it's no different from Mexican and US Fenders. Various parts of the MIM basses have been sourced from California at different times over the years as required, and I imagine that there are Asian-sourced parts in both of those lines as well.

The Squier warranty policies are listed on the website. I doubt that they're the same as the policies for the US Custom Shop...

At the end of the day, it's the quality of the finished product that tells the tale, more than where the various parts of the manufacturing process are sourced. Especially with instruments in Squire's price bracket.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, I was having a debate with a Craigslist seller (who else???) that said Fender makes Squiers and I said, no they don't. They own the Squier company but Squier is it's own entity. FMC does not have FMC employees "building" Squiers. That was my accertion.

But hey, if I'm wrong..........

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Just like that

Fender runs Squier, but local managers and execs just supervise what is basically outsourced to "indo" contract manufacturers, very much like Yamaha, Cort, Ibanez, G&L Tribute, Sterling by MM, Lakland Skyline, already do overthere as well.

Cheers,
    Wallace