1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Classic Vibe 2019

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LkS, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Bassicx

Bassicx

Apr 8, 2019
    No neck dive at all. I'm surprised some were under 7lbs, mine was the lightest I played out of 3 of the range.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  2. That's gonna happen : reverb sellers are selling the Squier VM 70 in natural color while stating them AS CLASSIC VIBE MODELS... and stupid youtubers do the same :

3. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    So guys... played a CV70's jazz today. Was great. Nothing wrong with it, for what it is, it is Fanstastic!
    BUT... I pulled the trigger on a brand new Player jazz bass (black and maple), on sale, and saved nearly $100. It was B-stock but I absolutley canNOT find ANY flaws at all, no matter how hard I searched. Felt and sounded just a bit more refined and comfortable. I now understand that you really do get what you pay for.

Pics and more details will be coming soon!! (check the Fender jazz bass club aswell)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Breaker, Bassicx and OllyW like this.
  4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Did you found the fender player fretboard edge less smooth compare to Squier maple fretboard which has rounder edge?
    My player p maple fretboard are notable sharp angle . My previous CV50P maple fretboard are rounder and smooth.

5. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    They both felt about the same, i think

Yahboy likes this.
  6. Jipismith

Jipismith

Mar 27, 2019
    QC City, Canada
    Can't wait to get my new CV 60's P-bass ! Ordered and ETA for mid-MAY :D

7. That's an interesting point that you're bringing here though! You get more with Squier somehow

8. mrface2112

mrface2112

Apr 5, 2019
    I played a brand new CV sunburst fretless yesterday. It was heavy as an anchor. The tuners felt cheap. And I didn't like the indian laurel fretboard at all.

It also had intonation issues and an awful buzz when playing the open strings. The latter being nothing a good setup couldn't remedy (probably), but I was rather disappointed in the instrument as a whole--my experience with the previous CVs was considerably more positive. I was hoping to pick it up as a cheap way to scratch the fretless itch. Alas....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  9. davesultra

davesultra

Mar 12, 2019
    Pulled the trigger on a ‘60s CV Jazz Bass. Should be here on Friday. I’m hoping that it won’t disappoint. I’ve only experienced the Indian Laurel fingerboard 1 time before and I was none too happy. That was on a CV Tele Custom. Want to see how I’ll like a Jazz bass, and didn’t want to spend a ton in order to find out.

10. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    Hmmm...looks like I am going to wait till they are out in a store before I maybe get one. I want a CV 60’s Jazz burst. Seeing that there are some issues that the older CV’s didn’t have I will wait. Want to see/play in person before purchasing. Maybe end up buying a used previous model.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  11. davesultra

davesultra

Mar 12, 2019
    Fortunately I’m getting mine from Sweetwater, so if it’s a turd I can send it back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

12. mrface2112

mrface2112

Apr 5, 2019
    I would definitely try before I bought. Or at least buy from a place that has a liberal return policy. Because I *really* wanted to like the bass I played. I kept thinking "well, if I ___ and I swap ___ and I fix ___ and I change out the ___"...........and then we're in $550 at that point....which is the point at which it makes sense to just spring for a MIM or a MIJ instead.

I walked in WANTING to spend the money and go home with a new bass. And this bass told me to hold onto my cash.

Now I regret not having dropped $550 on the discontinued Player series bass they had about a month ago that I said "I need to think about" and someone else snagged while I was thinking.

Obviously YMMV, but I was disappointed that these weren't on the same level as the previous CVs I've played.

13. Bassicx

Bassicx

Apr 8, 2019
    I think it would be wrong to write off a whole series after trying a single example. I tried 3 when I bought my P and it was the clear standout.

I think buying any bass can lead to variances in quality due to the sonic qualities of any bit of wood - especially at this price point. The key is to do what you did and try before you buy.

14. mrface2112

mrface2112

Apr 5, 2019
    You're not wrong. Not at all. But given that *every* CV I've played over the last 10 years or so has been a winner in one way or another/to some degree or another, it was extremely disappointing to find one that was SO very much NOT a winner. All of the CV's I've played in the past have been good instruments--not just for the price, but just plain good. I have regrets not buying a pine body Telecaster way back when.....

Point is, this wasn't an "it's the worst of 3" type scenario. Variances happen. This, however, was just a not very good instrument. Hopefully it's not representative of the entire line, but it was a glaring downturn in quality from my previous experience with the CV line.

15. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Don’t forget he is referring to the CHINESE squiers

16. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner

Jun 30, 2017
    Chicago
    I’ve had my eye on these and didn’t realize they’re out in the wild yet. I’d be interested in hearing more of your thoughts, as you spend time with it. I’m a hybrid bass / guitar player and this instrument brings a lot of creative possibilities to my arsenal.

17. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    Good decision.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  18. maplenecked

maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    Just unboxed my oly-tort P, everything looks great. Fretwork is very nice. Very much reminds me of the Chinese CV’s in everything except the bridge.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  19. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Well yesterday my local store just received the new CV Precision lefty that I asked them to order when they brought the next token lefty bass in and I'm pretty pumped as prior to '18 the only way I could get a Precision was to buy an American Pro or the old American Standard. Way too rich for my budget and tbh the one Am Std I tried must've been a lemon cause I couldn't get on with it at all. Just sounded like mud, had a crappy input jack that the store (different store, out of town) "tech" was unable to remedy after a year of complaining about it, & felt all wrong which is strange cause my old $100 "Cozart" P actually felt better albeit with crap electrics.

As I couldn't get any CV model at all before now I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to my 1st gen '13 VM 70's Jazz. I played it for awhile last evening and so far most of it's quite good. As they literally received it mid yesterday afternoon they hadn't had time to do a setup on it so I did a basic one. Tightened up the truss rod to flatten the neck some and then lowered the saddles for some nice action. Pickup height was good also. The nut binds a bit on the D and A strings so they'll have to take care of that. Tuners are fine except that the shafts are shorter than the ones on the VM. The D string one turns quite stiff so they'll have to sort that out too. Don't have 10 to pick from like righties take for granted so have to make what's there work besides that might be ammo in price negotiations lol. The neck has a glossy finish and the nice comfy wider nut width whereas the VM Jazz is satiny and the usual thin as hell Jazz width.

The amp I usually play through there got sold so I played it through a Rumble 100 combo. Sounds promising but I'll wait until I rent it tomorrow for a couple of days and get it going on my rig at home plus playing with the band before giving a full blown tone report.

What's the consensus on the pups? Are they voiced vintage or modern? Probably vintage being "Classic Vibe" and all. How are P pickups for clarity compared to J ones? Was sounding a touch muffled but that could've been the amp or my choice of settings or the relatively low volume I was playing at. That's why I want to get it on my rig this weekend.

What else? The burst with tort is nice. Laurel board is fine. No point whining about what used to be imo, move on!

Do any other lefties know if we're still getting dicked with the upcharge?

20. Got my Squier CV '70s Jazz Bass. A total mess; worst brand new bass guitar I've ever bought.

Not in order: 2 scratches (wide) on the headstock, one scratch on the back of the body (thick one), the neck joint on the body where the neck meets is cracked on both side. One knob is lose. Lacquer feels cheap. Bridge is cheap and bent. Bone nut is weirdly shaped and unfinished. Pickguard is badly cut. Neck had a bit relief. Binding is ideous. Frets are not leveled. Fender sticker is not even a sticker, it does not stick. They get cheap in every aspect of this bass down to the sticker. That's a mess, again.

Good points? The Jazz Bass logo is authentic (or at least looks great) and the overall tone is like a maple fingerboard 70s Jazz Bass should be. That's all...

Some quick shots of the mess...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say that I'm truly disappointed... I had faith in that bass and I feel slapped in the face today :( :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Yahboy likes this.