1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Classic Vibe 60s P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendmafia, Mar 27, 2013.

1. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I walked into a local music store that I never go in to (because its all low-end beginner gear) to get a shipping box and gigbag yesterday and saw what appeared to be a Pino Paladino(ish) bass at the end of the store. I had to wait a minute for the associate so I went over to investigate. It was, in fact, a sub $300 Squier Classic Vibe P bass in Fiesta Red. I picked it up (kinda heavy) and plugged it in and it sounded fantastic. I was pretty blown away by the fit and finish on it too. Maybe I have been out of the big production scene too long becuase I never remember Squier every putting out anything that ever resembled something I wanted to play. I have been thinking about it all day... Might have to make a stop to grab it on my way home from work. Anyone have any thoughts on these basses?

2. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I've got one, absolutely stunning bass.

3. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, my thoughts are you should buy it ASAP lol

I have a sonic blue one (sorry, I prefer it to the fiesta red any day lol) and it's just freakin awesome. Put a foam mute under the bridge cover and put a chrome pickup cover on there myself. Got some worn-in chromes flatwounds on it and it's one heck of a bass! Can't wait to put a custom shop P pickup in it!

4. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Just called and had them hold it for me... I have a David Allen P bass Pickup laying around that I could drop into it...:eek:

5. I had the exact same thing happen to me today, I went in looking for replacement speakers and a cv 60's sonic blue caught my eye. It was on sale for 225 and I knew it had to be mislabeled but the owner said that was the price so I nabbed it immediately. Congrats!

6. I 've heard that the stock pickup (Duncan designed) sounds great. I like the bridge on these as well. Pots may need upgrading at some point.

7. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Some of these Squiers are GREAT!!

I recently picked up a CV Fiesta Red body... added a CV Jazz neck... a Fender vintage (threaded saddle) bridge, bridge cover and 'flat-top' knobs... just installed a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickup, CTS pots and Switchcraft jack!
    Currently have D'Addario half-rounds... sounds (and looks) great!!

I have an Amer P and a Japanese P... this feels and sounds (almost) as good!!!

and... Just received an Oly White VM P... have a Hipshot vintage bridge on the way... as well as a tort p/g, CTS pots, Basslines QP p/u and 'flat-top' knobs! It will be like a whole nother bass!! :bassist:

8. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Out here we call that "ballin of a budget"

9. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    I have sold off a few high end basses and plan to back fill with a Squier CV PBass. They are fantastic values. I love the thin frets, which are similar to my real '65 JB. Also check out the Modified Jaguar Bass with the Duncan pickups. Under $300, they are great as well.

I once warmed up for a band, John Browns Body, and the guitarist was rocking a maple Telecaster with the logo sanded off. He sounded great and I asked what he was playing. He said it was a Squier!

I have no such problem playing a Squier. Here in NYC, I often see monster players playing the most awful p.o.s. instruments and making them sing.

10. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Squier has really improved it's game in the last few years, with the CV line in particular.

I own a Sonic Blue CV P (strung w/ La Bella flats) & my guitarist plays a CV Thinline Tele which he gigs with exclusively. We get a kick out of watching the eyebrows raise when people check out the logo on the headstocks.

I modded mine a bit (tort guard, Fender '62 pickup, upgraded pots cap & jack), but they play & sound great as is.

Very gigable instruments & the price/quality ratio can't be beat - the best value on the market IMO.

11. staurosjohn

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    .. eh... is that a good thing? :eek:

12. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Or to quote Mike Watt: "Jammin' Econo"! :D

13. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I actually have no idea... the kids I lift weights with say it. I usually just buy the most expensive thing and regret it later.

14. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    +1

BTW...the Sonic Blue is probably the best color in that series and looks gorgeous.

15. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    That is something that I never understood... so the only thing that you kept from the original CV was the body wood? How can you say the CV sound great?

16. staurosjohn

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Not sure what you're asking? The workmanship of 'some' the Squier basses has become comparable to the US models (in the ones I've owned). It is hit or miss though!

My point was that- if you catch one with a tight fit and nice body and neck (which I have)... upgrades to the electronics and hardware make for a very nice playing bass... so nothing really 'kept' me from the CV... just happened to have some cash to get one... have upgraded it... it sounds nice! :D

17. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I don't really see how a bass that's been modded beyond all recognition can still be referred to with the same name...

18. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    staurosjohn, what Evil Undead said is what I meant also. You said CV sound great and then described how you built a parts bass with a CV body. It just seemed unrelated :).

19. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You're thinking the Vintage Modified series, not the Classic Vibe series. There are no markings on the CV series that indicate a Duncan Designed pickup, unlike the VM which has it labeled on the p-up.

20. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    The pickup was ok... Really mellow and kinda flat sounding to me. The first thing I'll do is rip it out and replace the pots. All the hardware seemed fine to me, better than other basses I have seen sell for a lot more $. The finish on the neck is pretty heavy though.