1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Squier Classic Vibe '70s P — Featherweight, w/upgrades

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Willicious, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Price:
    Strings:
    Bought this bass new from Sweetwater March 2017. Has a Sept 2016 date on neck heel. SN indicates 2016, as well. Bass sounded and played great out of the box, but yeah, you know how it goes. I had to upgrade it.

Basic specs:
    • Basswood body w/poly finish
    • Maple neck; 1-5/8" nut width; vintage-size fretwire; 10" radius

Weight: 6 lb. 8.3 oz. as pictured. 6 lb. 12.4 oz. w/chrome bridge cover mounted. Cover included in sale.

Upgrades:
    • Gotoh GBR640 reverse tuning machines
    • Sadowsky Blue Label round wound strings
    • Fender Pure Vintage '63 pickup
    New controls from fellow TB'er @HEADbass: CTS 250K audio taper potentiometers, Russian military K40Y-9 capacitor .047uF/200V, Switchcraft jack and Gavitt vintage wire. His craftsmanship is 10/10.
    • Fender Pure Vintage aluminum control knobs

Overall condition: 9/10

Bridge: at one point, I mounted a standard Fender bridge, which required a fill and redrill of the two outside screw holes. For this sale, I decided to re-fit the nicer original Squier brass saddle bridge. It fits excellent, with no witness marks evident from the Fender bridge.

Overall finish: A few swirl marks here and there on body and pickguard, but bass looks great overall. Small chips of finish missing @ lower corner of neck pocket. See photo.

Body routing: I routed a Warmoth-style trussrod adjustment channel, hidden under pickguard, so if you ever swap to a neck w/heel trussrod adjustment, your life will be easier. I also did some minor routing within the pickup cavity area just to lighten the bass a bit more. All routing done neatly.

Frets / overall neck condition: Excellent. I've run flatwounds 100% of the time I've owned it. I only set it up with rounds because I figure it's a more popular configuration. Truss rod works great. No fret sprout. Neck is a little more amber / vintage tint in real life than shown in these images.

Setup: I just gave the bass a fresh setup. Medium action @ 5/64". First fret action set up medium-low for comfortable playing in the first position. Also installed a StewMac 1/2° tapered neck shim to allow for correct setup of action with the Squier bridge's large brass saddles. Also gives a little more string break angle over the saddles. At this point, the setup is dialed and the bass plays and sounds great.

Shipping: No gig bag or case. Bass will ship in the original Squier / Sweetwater double box.

$475 shipped CONUS, with insurance. PayPal.

IMG_0018. IMG_0019. IMG_0020. IMG_0021. IMG_0022. IMG_0023. IMG_0024. IMG_0025. IMG_0026. IMG_0027. IMG_0028. IMG_0029. IMG_0030. IMG_0032.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:52 AM
  2. Goodness that is a lightweight one

Willicious likes this.