1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Classic Vibe Jazz or Fender Standard MIM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wild4oldcars, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Squier CV

144 vote(s)
    56.0%
  2. Fender MIM

113 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Hey. Im looking into getting either a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz bass or a Fender Standard MIM Jazz bass. I've heard the Alnico pickups in the CV are better than the Fender, but i dont know. Any help would be appreciated :)

2. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I don't own and have never owned either but I pick up and play both in any music store that has them. I voted for the CV because I have liked more of them then I have the MIM stardards. IME/IMO they are very close. If you can get out and play a bunch you will probably find that you'll like some CV's better than MIM standards and some MIM standards better than CV's but if you ask me i think the CV's get the edge over the MIM standards.

3. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Me personally would go for the VM Jazz in maple. I have one and it is nicer than my MIM in many aspects and it has a real HARD wood body. I am still not a lover of basswood

4. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Depends. Before, I favored Squier's Classic Vibe Jazz over the typical MIM Fender Standard. Now, however, Fender has stepped up their quality control - even on their Standard MIM models. I would say their 2011 is the first I've been impressed with them. Not to mention, with the MIM Standards, you'll have more color and maple fretboard options. Color shouldn't matter (much), but it's definitely a nice option to have besides the CV Olympic White Jazz w/rosewood - unless that's your thing. My vote goes to the MIM, but only if it's the 2009+ models. Older MIM standards have never impressed me.

5. Neither! Save up for a good bass.

6. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Ironically, Squier says the body is made of "soft maple". I doubt that it is harder than maple. Anyway, the hardware on the CV is of better quality than on the VM. I personally also dislike the block inlays, which are no real inlays but painted.

When I bought my CV, I compared it to a MIM Fender - the difference was huge. The Fender neck was similar to a baseball bat, one could be led to believe it had not been completed properly.

Therefore, according to my experience, I'd definitely go for the CV. However, as usual, go out and try and compare and you will surely find the bass that suits you.

7. Jack Hof

Jack Hof

Jan 22, 2012
    I personally enjoy Fender MIM. It's a brand that I really trust (though sometimes not with the hardware & wiring). I'm not a big name-brand guy, but I would prefer the Fender over Squier. It's all about the sound, and I prefer that trademark Fender sound.

8. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Correct, and that's exactly what you get from many Squier instruments.

rawberry likes this.
  9. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    Lots of people say Squiers are better than Fenders. Unfortunately, I'm a gear snob, so I bought a Fender since they are more expensive. IME, Fenders aren't really bad. Mine seems to be buzzing but it wasn't when I tried it at the store, so it is most likely my bad amp. If you want a good bass with a good sound, I'd recommend them. You could probably get a better bass than a Fender or a Squier though, but they are still great little basses.

10. It isn't. The "soft" maple varieties (big leaf, silver and red maple) have about 1/2 the Janka hardness of their "hard" maple cousins (sugar and black maple). Soft maple is about as hard as cedar, douglas fir and some pine.

Two issues here - the hardware on the CV is different, but saying it is better is purely subjective. Also, the inlays on the Squier VM Jazz are NOT painted on, they are real inlays.

11. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Get the Fender, you can always swap out the p-ups if you need to. I'll take my MIM P and modded MIM Jazz over any Squier everytime! :cool:

chip134 likes this.
  12. BassBollocks

BassBollocks

Jan 19, 2012
    England
    I recently bought a Squier Vintage Modified '70's Jazz (maple body/neck with painted block 'inlays' - yes, they are painted, at least they are on mine - you can see the wood-grain if you look closely!), and the feel and playability are certainly as good as any of the Mexican-made Fenders that I've tried, and even come close to the USA-made models. The build quality is excellent and the finish is flawless. OK, the hardware and electrics are not the best available, but these can be easily upgraded (Badass or Gotoh bridge, CTS pots, Switchcraft jack socket etc.). The pickups (Seymour Duncan made-in-Korea) are actually very good - possibly better than the stock MIM variety, and the tuners, whilst undoubtedly cheap, are holding up very well. All in all, then, I'm very happy with the Squier, thanks...

Greaser (BassBollocks)

13. The inlays are not painted on. See post #10. :rolleyes:

14. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Some cheap basses give you a lot more quality for your cash to be honest. In fact, most of them do these days.
    I'd love some blind test P and J tests.. Vintage MIA, new MIM, MIA and Squier CV and VM.
    Would be amazed if someone recognized all in such a blind test, but who doesn't like a challenge huh? ;p

In any case, there so much different great basses, to each his own. I fell in love with a Squier CV P bass, which was sadly sold. The one that replaced it in the store doesn't get me hot. Same bass, but completely different feeling.

15. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    On the scale, how much harder is Soft Maple than Basswood. I know mine seems to be atleast that of alder, but with nicer grains.

Sure it is no Canadian Hard Maple like is in the neck, but it is still rather hard

16. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    The Janka Hardness Test for Hardwoods

Sure Sugar (Soft maple is softer than Rock Maple) 1450 vs 1500. But look at Basswood 367. Come on now!!

I have to admit I would love to get the necks from the CV series. They have a wonderful finish and feel to them. But I am not swayed from my dislike of Basswood, and while being not as hard, Soft Maple is still a damn hard wood in comparison. 3 times as hard as Alder which is what is used in the Fender bodies:meh:

17. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Everthing I've ever seen about the MIM Jazz says they are Alder bodies not Basswood.

18. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    No the Basswood bodies are in the CV series. The MIM and MIA Fenders are Alder and Ash mostly. I never said the MIMs were basswood

19. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I miss understood when you where comparing the Maple body to the Basswood, I thought you where still comparing the CV to the MIM since that was the topic of the post.

20. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Sorry if I misled you. Basically what I am saying is if you took the Soft Maple body and pups, put a CV neck and hardware on it with CTS pots, you could most likley give any MIA a good run for the money for 1/2 the price