Squier Classic Vibe vs Bacchus Universe Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeoKinetic, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Squier Classic Vibe

56.3%
  2. Bacchus Universe

43.8%
  1. I've been on the hunt for a 51 precision bass for a while now, and there's a model in each of these lines in a butterscotch blonde-esque colour (the classic vibe is out of production in this colour but they pop up from time to time online).

Was wondering if anyone had any insight of both series of basses from these brands, and if it's worth waiting for a used classic vibe to pop up or just get the bacchus universe. Not really worried about electronics, will probably put all new stuff in it, mostly concerned about the body and neck quality. Thanks!

lg_0303080550_xl.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
  3. I've never touched either but the Bacchus does look a little nicer. Keyword here is "look". I don't know. If I'm replacing all the electronics and hardware I'd get the Bacchus.

4. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Another vote for the Squier...a truly great bass

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I would say the Bacchus - so you can tell us what you think of the bass ha ha. Kidding.
    I don't know anything about the Bacchus Universe series, but I have tried a more expensive older MIJ Bacchus and they're very nice basses, well built and they sound great - also priced accordingly. I also own a MIJ Riverhead bass (a previous brand of Deviser's , the parent company of Bacchus)- terrific quality all round.
    Bacchus Universe series I believe are made in China but under strict quality supervision and control by Bacchus of Japan according to their ads so maybe they're indeed decent instruments. If you can try it first before buying, I'd recommend checking it out, might be a good enough bass for your purposes.
    I have tried the Squier, very nice bass and feel, so all I can tell you is about that one, and yes, they're good.

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Well I just ordered the Bacchus, same one in the photo in the beginning of the thread. Why the Bacchus? Price for one. But the main reason the nut width on the Bacchus is 1.5" compared to the 1.65" width on the Squier which is the standard size for a P-Bass. I much prefer the 1.5" nut width on the Bacchus. Years back I actually owned the Squier. Was a great sounding bass, solid built and high quality. But the neck was just too chunky and wide for me.

Also to note the Squier has the "high mass" bridge where the Bacchus does not. Well already ordered one on Amazon for less then $10. Will swap out the bridge once I get the bass in a few weeks. Plus I plan to put one some flatwound strings.

So stay tuned.......

7. If you're using flatwounds, why do you want a high mass bridge? They're self-defeating.

reddog likes this.
  8. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I may switch back and forth between flats and round wounds. Besides, it was only $8 on Amazon!

9. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Well got the Bacchus P-Bass. Gotta say it played pretty damn good out of the box. Like the neck much better then the Squier and the quality is pretty much on par with the Squier. Swapped out the vintage style bridge with a hi-mass one I got on Amazon for $8. And put on some Fender flats and it sounds like an old P-Bass. Order a pickup cover which may or may not cut down on the noise which is typical on these basses. Plus it looks good and makes a good thumb rest.

CC81BF41-9F23-4ED3-BAF2-C7FD646B8E74.jpeg

10. Wow that is REALLY nice. Whats the neck like on it?

11. Illidan23

Illidan23

Jul 8, 2018
    Hai i have been playing that squier bass for 3 month, i have the white blonde one, i think it has different spec with the yellow honey. That squier is a really good bass for the price, i love the sound and the comfortabilty.The bridge so good, i never play the bacchus, but i very recomend u to get the squier :D

12. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The neck is more like a jazz bass, 1.50” nut width. That’s the main reason I like it over the Squier which has the standard wider nut width. The neck has a nice unfinished feel. The Squier if I remember right has a gloss finish.

13. I actually have the Squier, I'm waiting to have a new 1.5 neck built for it, I also have Warmoth version that i'm just waiting for some back ordered hardware to assemble, Also 1.5" nut. Then i saw this and the butterscotch and the green look so great i'm tempted to give one a try

14. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Hey, I have a same problem with you. Can you give me a review for Bacchus? What's you like or dislike about it? Which is the plus and minus point? Fyi, I'm a fan of gloss neck like on Sire or MIJ Fender. Did the neck bother? Is it easy to make the neck gloss just like my favorite neck?

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021