Squier Contemporary Jazz HH V preamp problems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Meyatch, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I bought a Squier Contemporary Jazz HH V on ebay that was advertised as having a faulty preamp. When I plug it in, it works fine for about a minute, then starts cutting out until it fades away to nothing really quickly. I don't see any super obvious broken wires or solder joints, but the pickup connections are a lot sloppier than everything else. I've tried searching and I can't find any wiring diagram or anything. My gut feeling is maybe the red wire should be hooked up to the +4.5V lug? Does anyone know if having that reversed would cause the issues I'm having?

I already have a preamp on the way, so this is just kind of for fun.

Does anyone have a contemporary jazz HH and know if this is correct, or know if wiring those 2 wires backwards would cause the issue?

F595C591-A393-4942-B78E-B2C08AC7E150.jpeg

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    The other side of the circuit board would be interesting to see.

3. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    I would desolder one set of pickup wires and check for resistance across each of the three possible pairs of wires (red and white, red and black, white and black). You'd know pretty quick which wires were which.

That said, I would expect the pickups to not work at all if the +v and signal leads were swapped.

4. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    Those three wires each come from the pickups. Red and white are signal and black is ground. Swapping the red and white will only make a difference with both pickups being out of phase which might sound strange when running both.

I doubt, it has anything to do with your problem and the wiring pictured is correct.

5. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    That's interesting considering the silk on the pcb labels the middle pin as "+4.5v" - but I guess it wouldn't be the first time a silkscreen was wrong.

6. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    I was wondering also about that "+4.5v", but the three wires come from the pickup.