1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier CV 60's pick up swap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by okc-zee, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Any suggestions for a pup swap on a CV 60's P for a fatter sound? Love my CV 60's but the pup sounds pretty thin to me...Thinking of putting in a fender 62 RI pup ...Is this just a waste of time and money? Any info appreciated..

2. 62 RI is a sweet pup.

3. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I have a CV 60's Precision in Sonic Blue - first time I played it I noticed that the tone control was, in effect - non-functional. So, I decided to do "the upgrade" - I ordered a Seymour Duncan "Quarter Pound" pick-up, a couple of CTS pots, a Sprague "orange drop" capacitor, and a Switchcraft jack. Did it improve the sound of the bass - most definitely ! But, I have wondered if the pot upgrade would have garnered the same result. My advice would be this - change the pots and the cap first. This is a cheap upgrade, and you may find the pickup swap to be unnecessary. Concerning the pickups - I have used both the 62 RI and the "Quarter Pound" - and, to my ears - the Duncan wins.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You didn't even need a pit upgrade. You probably had a broken connection. Nothing you put in, except the pickup, was any different from what was in the bass to start with. Just different brand names.

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    DiMarzio Model P have a great, full, old-school thump. Quarter Pounders are very scooped.

6. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    +1, model p is one of my favorite split coil pups.

7. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I checked all of the connections - everything was solid. To clarify - the tone pot "worked", but made little difference in the tone. The CTS pots really opened up the tonal options, and - like I said, the pickup change was probably not necessary. I cannot agree with your comment on the pots being the same - I also own a Squier Jazz bass Standard model, and changed the pots only in it, and it made a very noticeable improvement in the sound. You could probably prove your point electronically, but to my ears - they were both improved.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Pots don't change the tone on a tone control. The cap does. Either the original pots were bad or the cap was bad. CTS pots don't have a sound, and are just like any other pots.

Some of the cheap Fender basses have 500K pots. Real Fender basses have 250K pots. The value of the pots are different. That will alter the tone. But if they are the same value it wont, unless they were way out of spec. Same thing with caps. An orange drop will sound exactly the same as a ceramic of the same value.

But it's not a bad idea to replace the cheap parts in those basses.

I've been repairing and building basses for the past 38 years, so I've changed pots more times than I can count. :)

9. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Beat me to it. The cap or pot was probably bad. Pots have no tone of their own, though.

10. This was the first thing I did upon receiving the bass..The tuners went next...I put in the Fender 62 P bass pots,cap,jack and wiring kit from guitar parts resource...Then added 62 reverse tuners that I had a set of...Pup still sounded thin and the same after the pots swap...So I'm hoping the pup change will make the difference...

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    A pup swap will make a huge difference.