1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier CV 60s pickup recommendation please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FishDub, Dec 7, 2018.

1. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I am thinking about swapping out the pickup in one of these, although I am not unhappy with its sound. In fact, it sounds great but I am looking for a bit more high end..I know-taboo, but the good news is that I have a set of TI flats on it. Anyway, I have read countless reviews of the following:

Klein Epic Series 58
    SD Antiquity 57
    Fender Am Vintage 57 AND 58
    Fender Pure vintage 63
    Fender CS 62
    Fender Original Precision

WTH?Why does Fender have to make it so confusing and redundant??!! LOL..
    I am sure I haven't even scratched the surface with P pickup options but quite frankly my eyes and head are spinning from reading about all of these. So how about some opinions, considering my preference for a bump in the high end area of tone...
    Thanks

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    First, if you make a change, hold on to that stock pickup. There have been threads seeking out Squier CV Precision pickups here on TB.

Second, I can help narrow down you search by suggesting that you cross the Pure Vintage 63 off of your list. I really like the PV63, but it’s not the pickup for a bump in the high end.

PawleeP and FishDub like this.
  3. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Also, if you’re just looking for a little more high end, you might want to try switching the pots to 500k. It’s also a little less expensive than a new pickup.

FishDub likes this.
  4. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Interesting.. you aren’t the first to suggest that. I was thinking about that for another bass of mine. I’m not technically savvy so what exactly does the pot upgrade do? On any bass?

5. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Typically, most P-Basses have stock 250k pots. In simple terms, switching to 500k will allow more signal to pass, giving you a little more high end, and maybe a little more volume.

FishDub likes this.
  6. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks.. the volume is huge as-is but I’ll probably do it. I ask because I have another bass that is extremely quite compared to the others and is active. I have checked:
    Pickup height
    Pickup magnets
    Preamp
    Battery
    New strings
    And still, I have to crank everything almost to max on the amp. The 500 pots may just do the trick..

7. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Active electronics use totally different pot values, typically 25k or 50k (and other values) depending on what works best for that specific system. Your active bass may have to be diagnosed by a qualified tech.

Edit- I just noticed one thing not on your checked list is output jack.