1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier CV 60s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cardsfan85, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Cardsfan85

Cardsfan85

Apr 9, 2014
    Florida
    For those of you in the know why did they stop making these in Fiesta Red and Sonice Blue? Is it due to the change in plant from China to Indonesia? Also, why in the world can I not find either of these finishes on the used market? I check ebay, reverb, the classifieds here frequently for them.

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    On this day, great china make Squier CV bass are absolutely hard to find in great condition .

YAP_8134.JPG

3. KoalaOnBass

KoalaOnBass

Feb 18, 2016
    I don't think it was because of the factory change - they were discontinued a few years before production moved to Indonesia (and while they were still making the 70s CV in the same factory). I don't think anyone knows why, some speculate they were "too good" and were cutting into the Fender market. That's also why they're so hard to find used: people know how good and desirable they are, so they're holding onto them :) from what I hear, the new CVs sadly aren't up to par with the old ones.

4. Cardsfan85

Cardsfan85

Apr 9, 2014
    Florida
    I have a 70s CV with some Fender vintage p/u but I would love either of those two finishes ,mentioned, on a squier or fender pbass

5. Cardsfan85

Cardsfan85

Apr 9, 2014
    Florida
    Beautiful!

Yahboy likes this.
  6. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Like this. Used off reverb. Paid more for it than a regular used Squireere. They are better than most Squieres image.jpg

7. CATFISHMcC0Y

CATFISHMcC0Y

Mar 23, 2017
    Indiana
    i used to have a 2008 sonic blue one. i sort of fell out of love with gloss necks so i don’t necessarily regret getting rid of it. but i will say that might have been to this day the best neck profile i’ve ever found. wide at the nut but very thin front to back

8. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    This^ all the way. I know mine wont be sold, its that good. If they do come up for sale they are usually gone within a few hours if that.
    Fender.jpg

9. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    mcnach, Yahboy and lowdownthump like this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’ve owned 6 or 7 of these ( I lost count). I sell them off only to hunt down another to replace it. They are that good!! I seem to favor the Fiesta Red ( Pino models ).

The prices have almost doubled in the past few years . Sadly it seems a lot were parted out . People loved the pickups and the neck .

I favor the Jazz bass over the Precision but when I need that Pbass goodness , this one delivers in every way. They are hard to find , but keep searching. They do pop up from time to time .

73229056-984D-4AFE-BB30-EC0276DEA966.jpeg

Dec1975, FishDub and bigbassmike like this.
  11. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    This about sums it up.

FishDub and zie like this.
  12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Look on Reverb constantly, they come up pretty often...

austin2112 likes this.
  13. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    I had a sonic blue one a few years back, kick myself for not hanging onto it. Was a great playing and looking bass.

FishDub, lowdownthump and Bent77 like this.
  14. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Bleecker and StrangerBasses like this.
  15. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    These are killer also CV 70s made in China, but they don’t come with Geezers:smug:
    528071F6-0A77-483B-AA31-563C96FC0B3D.jpeg

16. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

If one were to come up for $700. Would people pay that price?

zie likes this.
  17. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Based on the price trend thing on Reverb, mid $400s seems to be the upper limit on these. Maybe you should start a poll. I bet the responses would be worth $700!
    :woot:

SpanishDave and FishDub like this.
  18. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I’ll sell you mine for $700! ;-)

I have one in fiesta red but also just picked up a '63 AVRI P in Seminole Red last week, in a bout of GAS. I've been dying to get my hands on one of these '63s again, but I have to tell you - these CVs hold their own against even the mighty AVRI. Are they just as good? No. But is the AVRI 4 times as good, given the 4x price difference? Absolutely not. In fact I'm considering whether I even need the '63 at this point since the CV has such a good cost to quality ratio.

IMG_5098.JPG

19. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Already have one. I asked because it’s for a ugh... friend! :laugh:

lowdownthump and 60bass like this.
  20. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    They are hard to find because people rarely sell them. I've said this a million times before but I honestly believe the Chinese CVs are easily as good as most currently manufactured MIA Fenders. I will NEVER sell mine. They're some of my favourite P-basses regardless of price (and I own quite a few expensive ones too).

I wasn't the least surprised when they were discontinued. They were simply too good for the price and QC was considerably better than Fender USA.