1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier CV decal removal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darnell Jones, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    I'm helping a friend find a backup bass and we've decided on the James Johnston Classic Vibe Fender. The criteria are a classic Fender look (good looking clones would work too), LPB, inexpensive and passive. The only thing we don't like is the yellow/gold Squier logo on the headstock.

Has anyone here removed the decal successfully? Can it be removed with some kind of solvent without damaging the paint? Is there clear coat over the logo? Maybe gently sand it off and re spray a clearcoat?

0301078502_frt_wmd_001.

Suggestions on other budget Fender or Fender clones would be appreciated. The old LPB SX with the old style headstock is another choice if we can find one.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Here we go....

Keep the logo. It's not worth the effort.

3. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    Of course it's worth the effort, these are our opinions.

4. Nobody will notice the Squier logo other than other musicians. Are you leaving it blank after you remove the logo? You may get a lot of negative responses on here from past threads I have seen about removing squier logos and adding fender logos. Totally your call though and not saying not to do it. Just saying be prepared for some of the responses. If it were me I would just leave it as is. I could care less what someone thinks of what I am playing if I like the bass. Of course that being said if I were going to try out for a band/gig I might take my fender then later bring my squier, lol!!

Oo how to remove it though I believe (my memory is not the greatest) there was a thread on here where someone said how they removed a logo from there squier. I would do a search and see if you can find it. Don't remember the title though, sorry.

5. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    Hi Adam, it's not to hide the word squier, it's just that it looks horrible in that color. We could care less about what others think. Another thought would be to find a black or silver Squier logo and cover it over.

I'll look for that thread, thanks for the tip and yes I am aware that there will be many posters who just want to tell me they're right and I'm wrong.

6. If it's like the other CV basses in the series, the logo is underneath the clearcoat, so you'd have to take the finish completely off of the front of the headstock to get to it.

7. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    Ghostdog, thank you. The link you gave suggests nail polish remover will do the trick. A very simple no trouble fix.

8. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    Hmm, that's a bit tougher. Maybe we could just go over the yellow with a black sharpie :) I hid a white OLP decal on a black headstock that way.

9. Unless you totally repaint the headstock its going to look like crap , they are deep under a glossy clear.

Just slap a piece of tape over it if it bother you.

10. Yup happens quite a bit on here, lol.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If you want to kill that logo, there is only One way:
    Sand it down, and repaint it. End of story.

12. I was going to suggest a sticker of some sort, which would do the same thing.

13. To the OP...

Does your friend already have the bass? If so, WHERE did he get it! I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!
    That's exactly the bass I'm looking for!

14. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    If it's just the color, get a professional painter to cover it with a different color. That would work, I think!!! Might cost more than the bass but at least ... ;) Dark blue or black would look nice :) ...

15. This bass has been available in Europe since its release a few years ago. It's going to be released in the US sometime in 2012.

16. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Keep on waiting, it might be available soon :p

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Nobody should be telling the OP to just paint or scribble on top.
    Ya gotta sand the snot out of it, and then repaint the whole head.

18. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    These. Sand to bare wood (and refinish in clear instead of trying to match the blue) would be my solution. You won't find a bootleg Squier decal, likely, so be prepared to go without a logo (which IMO makes the bass look bare) or design your own.