1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier CV Fiesta Red vs Pino Palladino Fender Custom Shop Fiesta Red

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jan 25, 2012.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm starting to realize the Squier CV Fiesta Red and the Pino Custom Shop Fiesta Red are exactly the same hue....

I'm thinking of order a Squier, putting a Warmoth neck on it and a Fender '62 Original P-bass pickup.... Poor man's Pino?

I'm sure the Squier neck is fine too, but I just prefer Warmoth.

Thoughts?
    I know the Squier is basswood and the Pino is alder... but it's gonna have a P-Retro anyway.... :D

2. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    I'd say, the CV is a poor man's Pino as it is. The neck is in my opinion its strongest asset, the pickup being the second one. If anything, I would swap the body. I find myself liking the sound of basswood-bodied basses, but don't like the dingability etc.

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    You're right. But I find myself wanting a pau ferro fretboard (even though the real Pino bass has rosewood)
    MIght even do a J-neck and definitely a P-Retro so really in the end the only thing Pino about it will be the body color.
    My main question was - does the hue/tint of the Squier Classic Vibe "Fiesta Red" match that of the Fiesta Red of the Fender Custom Shop Pino bass?

Because I was going to buy a Warmoth body and have Pat Wilkins refinish it in Fiesta Red - but that would be pricey - Warmoth themselves has Fiesta Red but it's very pink.

I don't mind basswood - it will be a nice change from alder and ash - and if it gets dinged up, well, that will make it more reliced looking :D

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I own it...it's good enough! Really inexpensive and sounds good out-of-box.

5. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    well, the CV is quite pinki-ish, too. And the 'relicing' wouldn't look too nice - the wood is soft, and the finish is hard, so it doesn't really scratch or wear off. It dents. I have some experience with basswood-bodied Peaveys, my friend owned basswood-bodied SBMM sb14 and sold it for the sole reason of physical properties of that wood. The pickup-holding screws got torn off the wood just by the force of a piece of rubbery foam he put beneath the pickup. Same thing happened to one of the straplocks. He really liked the sound though, and so did I. I also like the CVs, just the way they are. I just think that those bodies are not particularly good mod platforms, as they are one of the weakest points of that entire particular bass.

6. I've got the fiesta red CV 60's and it already IS the poor man's Pino

And I ain't exactly poor, but I'll be darned if I'm changing a single thing about this bass (except the strings, got chromes on it)

The neck is the real gem - those vintage frets make playing almost effortless, and I'm running 2mm action with just a touch of relief -

I can't imagine wanting to potentially mess up this bass with an aftermarket neck of any make

As far as color they look the same in pictures, but I guess you would have to hold them side by side and then judge

Seeing that these are both Fender products and that they are both Fiesta Red, I would imagine that they are very close, if not dead on

Now, you need to worry about the pickguard (I think the Pino has a yellow middle layer)

Have fun, and either way - buy the one you can afford and keep it stock

IMHO

7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    If it ain't pink, it ain't fiesta red.

8. Mine is not pink - I would call it red

However, my wife sees a little pink in there - and guess what?

Women can see many more variations of red than Men do - google it!

So, I guess it depends if you are a woman or a man?

9. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    If I was going for a "poor man's Pino", I'd find a decent used MIM P and re-fin the body. Swap out the stock guard for tort, get a 62' RI p-up, pots, etc., and I think you'll have a decent sounding & playing P for not much more $$$ than the Squier. :cool:

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've owned 2 CVs. Really great pieces as they are. The only real mod I ever considered on mine was pickups The reason I sold mine is that I got an Ash body MIA P bass which tonally is different to my ears.

You've heard it alot, but the CV is really a great value.

11. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Sep 20, 2013
    Singapore
    IMG_2602_zps8bc675bc.

nbd! sounds alright at the guitar shop just now. Have bought flatwounds and will change the strings tonight.

Jamareo Artis is now in my list of bass heroes. So I bought this poor man's pino bass cos I'm very attracted to his playing styles and moves!

But of course will be playing other stuff with this bass. stuff from chris wolfstonholme and flea, my other two bass heroes.

12. bassplaynbaiken

bassplaynbaiken

Apr 3, 2014
    What if you added a 70s neck off of eBay with a rosewood fingerboard? That might be a realrpoor man's Pino... I might do that. :cool:

13. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I have been planning a Pino-looking project and also have been wondering about color variations. From what I have seen the CS Pino sig. model has a slightly washed out Fiesta red when standing next to a Squier CV. This is probably due to the fact that the Custom Shop version is a 'relic' and they have sprayed them accordingly.

For my project I am considering using a Fiesta red Road Worn body. If you are going for the relic look you would need to consider hardware and paint weathering.

14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    gofor it I'm doing something similar--VMJ like poor man's AV64 J
    James Johnston will work for me too.

15. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    Soooo....just to make sure: you understand that a red P-bass does not make you play like Pino....

16. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Well... you need to add some proper vintage reverse machines (keep the neck, they're to die for), proper tort guard - not printed, a few screw holes and dings... et viola!

wish they'd bring back the sonic blue tho!

17. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    For sure no

Still maybe you could look bit like Jeff Pilson - in RockStar movie aka "Jorgen" - tho'

Cheers,
    Wallace

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  18. MetsMan75

MetsMan75 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2010
    I have owned both basses but unfortunately not at the same time so I could do a side by side comparison video. I had the Pino first and it was a beautiful bass but IMO not at all worth even close the price I paid for her. When I sold the Bass I lost about $1500 after owning it about 2 years so the resale value is not so great either. The Bass was a work of art and my fav color and had amazing tone. Pickups sounded a lil hot to me and it got a lil extra growl and deep low end. I hated the neck and that's a big reason I sold it. It had a wider than 1.75" chunky C profile neck and I hate wide C's. I'm ok with a C if its a thin width neck. I usually Love V necks. Anyway the neck was worn/relic'd and felt great but could never get used to profile and width so I couldn't justify owning a bass so expensive just for its looks. I later on owned a squier classic vibe '60s in fiesta red and while it was a C profile neck I found it to be very comfortable...was very thin...about 1.65 width and shallow C....I didn't like the heavy gloss but that's easy to fix. The look of it was like a new Pino bass before the relic job. The hue of the fiesta red was very close. The CV came with rounds and I never bothered to try it with Thomastiks which is what the Pino has. I sold it because I'm constantly looking for the next thing but that's one bass I regret selling. I miss it. I cant say that about the Pino cause I think it was so far overpriced and it wasn't much better than the CV which is made in china! Anyway I'm planning on buying another CV in fiesta red before its discontinued like the sonic blue was. This time I will try her with some Thomastiks to see. The stock pickups sound good to me but I know I read the pino bass pickups were custom wound based off his '61 P bass I believe so maybe along the line I'll try to get some custom pups for her. You can buy into woods all you want but I believe most of tone is fingers, Strings then pickups :)

19. MetsMan75

MetsMan75 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Some may call me crazy but I prefer the Squiers to anything else coming out now and even consider up to par with vintage I've have owned but that's my oppinion. I happen to own the Matt Freeman bass made by Squier and its every bit as good as any '70s Fender Bass I've owned (and I have owned 4). Its like a poormans reissue of a mid-late '70s P bass- amazing out of the box! I have owned the '70s Jazz basses and they are oustanding! As long as its the classic vibe or vintage modified series you really can't go wrong.