1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier CV P-Bass 60's stripped truss rod nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Christoph, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    My Squier clasic vibe 60's precision bass has a stripped truss rod nut at the headstock.
    Any tips on what to do about it?

Thanks!
    Christoph

2. Personally, I wouldn't spend too much time fixing an inexpensive neck when there are great replacement options. Check TB classifieds, Mighty Might, USA Custom guitars...

Are the threads stripped or is the Allen tool slipping?

3. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    I think the threads are fine. The allen tool is slipping.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

JLS, Yahboy and sissy kathy like this.
  5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Start by getting a tool the correct size and high quality for the nut; and a new nut. AFTER the nut arrives and you have a good quality tool, start by putting a couple drops of miracle oil down the nut to lubricate those threads up a little. After ten or fifteen minutes, take the tension off of the strings, flex the neck to remove tension from the rod, and insert the tool FULLY into the nut, the nut should spin off, it may take a little time if the hex is stripped but it'll come. Lube the new nut up with a dab of never seize and put the new nut on. In future ensure you only use that quality tool, and also that the tool is fully inserted. Don't rely on the nut to bend the neck either, assist the nut by flexing the neck when tightening.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    This seems like a reoccurring problem with the Classic Vibe 60s P-Bass. :eyebrow:

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yeah. Coz Americans keep jamming inch keys in metric holes. :roflmao:

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    If you own a nice piece of CV60P , i believe you will try to fix it while you have same troble as OP.

96tbird likes this.
  9. If it's just the nut, sure replace it. I gave the OP the benefit of doubt that he was using the correct tool, thinking that the rod threads were stripped. Personally, I've spent too much time fixing necks. Everyone has to do their own cost benefit analysis when a repair gets deeper.

10. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    Thanks for the help. I went ahead and ordered the nut suggested by 69tbird and the Stewmac gripper wrench (http://bit.ly/2kR1CNH). Now my question is: Does the nut on this bass even come off or is it welded on?

11. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    Thanks! So ordered. Do you know whether the nut is welded onto the rod on this bass?

12. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    It wasn't me! I swear!:smug:

13. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    Agreed. I'll try the low cost suggestions first. If they don't help, I may just live with it.

14. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    There, fixed it for you.
    What good is buying or selling a truss rod nut if the original is not able to come off? No, the nut comes off. It is a single action rod and the nut is removable as described.

15. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    Ha! Good point! :laugh:
    I'm looking forward to getting it fixed.
    I'll post my results when done.
    Thanks!

16. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

No. The only type of rod that has welded nut is dual action (dual acting, etc).

There may be some odd types out there other than dual acting, but your Squier in plain Jane normal rod.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  17. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    hello,

I own the same kind of a bass (Matt Freeman). It has single-action truss rod. So you CAN actually replace the nut. But first you will need to remove the truss rod entry insert. It is piece of walnut glued into the neck.
    nut_insert.
    nut_insert2.

18. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    Yikes. Is that really necessary? What size bit did you use? Does the entry need to be replaced too?

19. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    I just came across this article using a blow dryer to remove the plug. I guess that's worth a shot.
    Removing a Truss Rod Plug and Adding Washers | BlueDustStudio / Chris Porro

digmeout likes this.
  20. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD