1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier CV/VM comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the Squier CV and VM lines.

This is the first one I played:

Squier VM Jazz Bass
    0326702521_frt_wmd_001.

It has consistently been one of the nicer Jazz basses I've played. Great tone, plays nice.

I've compared it to this one:

Squier CV Jazz Bass

0303075505_frt_wmd_001.

In general, the CV didn't play as smooth. The neck feels like plastic due to the finish. Tonewise it's your standard 60s Jazz bass, while the VM had a more 70s tone. I liked the sound of the VM more because I felt it had more "character". Both basses were well made, in my opinion. I would pick the 70s style due to my personal preference and the neck finish.

Now for the P basses:

Squier CV 60s P Bass
    0303070540_frt_wmd_001.

I could tell this bass was well made, but that's about the only good thing I have to say about it. The back of the neck finish again made it feel like I was playing on plastic, but it seemed worse on a P neck. Made it difficult to play. The tone was very bland. As you can hear in Ed Friedland's review of these basses, it sounds just as good as his 60s Japanese P bass, but TBH I really didn't think much of the tone of that Japanese bass in the first place, so the CV didn't have a lot of competition.

This was the best of the bunch, IMO:

Squier Amber VM P Bass
    0326802520_frt_wlg_001-1.

This is the best P bass I've played other than an American Standard. No joke. I liked it better than the American Special, even. I certainly liked it better than any MIM. The neck played very nicely and the tone is exactly what I look for in a P bass. I can't really describe the differences between the VM and CV tonewise, I just think this fit my idea of a P bass tone much better. This is, in my humble opinion, the best [new] bass you can get for under $500 (although I've never tried a Peavey Fury, so we'll see).

This was the worst:

Squier White VM P Bass
    0326800505_frt_wmd_001.

This bass felt like a toy. Like the body was hollow or something. The quality of the bass was no where near the others. The sound was muddy and muffled. Did not like, would not recommend to others.

The affinities in general were inferior to the VM and CV lines, although you can still find a jem here and there. I played an affinity jazz that was as good as either a VM or CV once, so I know they're out there.

YMMV, as always.

2. Thoughts?

3. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    I have always thought that the CV P > VM P, I wasn't aware of the amber VM modified, great info! thanks!

4. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    What exactly makes such a big difference b/t the amber VM (best) vs. the white VM (worst) ? Other than the body wood being possibly different, and the RW / maple FB, aren`t they essentially the same ?

5. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Why do you think the white VM P is worse than the Amber? Other than color and the maple vs. rosewood fretboard, what is the difference between these two? I haven't had the chance to play any VM Ps.

6. Agathis vs Maple and Rosewood vs Maple.

I was honestly shocked at how different the sound and feel was between the two basses because you two are correct, they are very similar.

The Agathis makes the bass light weight, but so much so that it feels like it has no substance, kind of like playing on a guitar hero guitar.

The tone left a lot to be desired. Muddy and indistinct.

The Amber one was a real solid bass, and had a great tone.

7. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    Yeah, the fact that the White VM P and the Amber VM P are so far apart shows that what you have uncovered is about the specific basses you tried, and has nothing to do with the range.

I can definitely see 2 of your preferences on parts/design decisions of the CV and VM: you like the sound of Duncan Designed pickups, you dislike the varnished necks. Both perfectly understandable, and probably widely held, but by no means a sign that one is better than the other.

I am not sure there is a huge VM > CV or CV > VM gulf, having played a few. Even the older MII Standard series was pretty good. Its all personal preferences of the player, and individual built quality of that specific bass.

8. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Interesting. I prefer rosewood fretboards, but I'll just have to play them both for myself. I hope one of the music shops in the area will get them.

9. That may be the case, but I did play more than one of each bass.

Even if that white VM was a lemon, I doubt any others would feel like less of a toy since they all are made of the same wood. Some may sound better than others, though.

And obviously, this is all opinions and preferences. I can tell the build quality on the CVs is a cut above their affinity series, even if I don't care for them. I just think the maple VMs are just as high quality as the CVs and happen to suit my preferences better.

10. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I have to agree with your assessment.

I didn't think I wanted the Squier Amber VM P Bass
    because I wanted a rosewood neck and didn't want
    a soft maple body. For that reason, I tried the CV's
    and other VGM's more than once and ignored the
    Squier Amber VM P Bass until one day, I finally picked
    one up at GC.

I had to have that one, right then. Not one in a box,
    the one I played. The other VM's and the CV's did not
    affect me that way.

I agree with others, that's my taste and opinion.

I've got news for you though.

Once I put an Original Fender 62 P bass pup in my USA
    Fury, it is a better bass than the Squier Amber VM P
    Bass. The Fury is better than any P bass I have played.

5-9-7b.

That's another of my opinions,

Tabdog

11. Agreed...the VM J and VM P are pretty sweet basses. No news there, although I do like the amber/maple P more than I do the rosewood version.

I've always preferred the VM satin neck over the CV gloss finish,
    but I was pretty impressed with the Freeman sig - basically a CV 60's P with a maple board. It was almost good enough to make me forget about the neck finish.

IMO, you really can't go wrong with either the VM or CV series. If you play one, and you like it, there's no reason not to take one home.

12. So what's the deal with the glossy neck finish? It took me all of two minutes to sand the gloss back to a nice fast satin finish with some 1200 grit paper. Why make a big deal of it when it's such a simple fix?

13. Because the alternative requires no work and yields satisfactory results.

14. Why buy a bass with a crappy neck finish when I can get one with a nice finish for the same price or less?

15. Paulo P

Paulo P

Jul 17, 2010
    My CV is a very good bass, good construction, good feel and sound, heavy weight, 10.5lbs.
    I bought a 77vm and return it to GC 5 minutes later. Very bad crafstmanship, feel like a toy, neck has real inlays but biding was paited, badly painted.
    I have used my credit to pay for an american standard, one more.

16. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    +1 to me my white VM P is no worse in quality to the CV P and MIM P and certainly doesn't feel like a toy, I completely agree about the finish on the CV neck which is why I didn't buy one.

If you were describing the affinity I'd agree with you, sure you didn't pick up a white/rosewood affinity P by mistake?

17. I have both the VM Amber and VM White precisions. I've owned 3 of the VM White precisions and I find the necks all warped, but not on the VM Amber. Maybe it has to do with the rosewood neck on the VM White? I've checked out the CV line and the jazz is nice but the neck on the precision seem to be too wide for me, heavy bass too.

18. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    I have the amber VM P, and it sounds good, it looks good, and it is working its way up in the line-up. I wouldn't be surprised if I actually become attached to this bass in a matter of time.
    I didn't see the fantastic QC on mine, but it was nothing that couldn't be handled...bad fret sprout, and a high nut being my main complaints.

19. no love for the CV 51'P?

20. I have love for it.