1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Deluxe 5, questions on upgrades

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Apr 14, 2010.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I am buying a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz 5 tomorrow... CHEAP! Since I just have 1 bass currently and this was a deal too darn good to pass up, I am buying this as my backup/customization project. So here are some questions, if anyone can help, it'd be great!

What pickups are easily dropped into this bass? Do they fit weird like most Fender 5 string pickups or do they have a commonly used size? (This is assuming that I don't go too crazy and start routing the body... a possible outcome, though)

2. I've had mine for 2 years...have thought about upgrades...but I'm so happy with it's sound and playability as-is that I just can't see spending more on it.

The pickups in this bass are the same size (NOT like a Fender 5): Both pickup routs are 95mm (3.75")

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    How quiet is the bass? Does it suffer from the usual hum as much as some inexpensive (well, and also expensive, let's face it!) do? How well is it shielded out of the box?

4. when the pickups are blended (centre detente on the blend), the bass is dead quiet...

when you're panned either way, you get the normal single coil hum...

absolutely NOT a problem in 95% of playing situations...and in the other 5%, just run in centre position (my favourite spot for most of my playing, anyway)

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Mine as well, so that's great news.
    I have a US Dlx J 5 and the SCN pickups are great, I only get a little hum in terribly bad wired houses. But I played a Marcus Miller and the pickups were terribly noisy, no matter what. Even after I shielded that bass entirely, it still bzzzzzzzz'd.